Stock pins! (May seem trivial, but...)

Bernster

Visit site
Haha no afraid I can't help but I can sympathise. They are teeny fiddly things aren't they, especially that little wheel fastening that you use to close them. Mine's always lop sided :-(

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
Thanks Jess, I did get a Shires plain one and sharpened it but it was then too short to fasten! Grrrr!
I wouldn't mind, but ordinary safety pins seem to be incredibly sharp. Why can't they just make them into stock pins?

And yes, Bernster, those little wheel things are the thorn in my side. One got flung yesterday after I lost patience with it.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Why also are they not pointy enough to go through the material? I had that Shires one and it does not stay done up. Frustrating!

Bernster

Visit site
******. I've just ordered the shires one. Is it not sharp enough to go through a stock? What kind of stock pin is that ?! I was tempted to try a safety pin last weekend although managed to borrow,one instead!

Shay

Visit site
Deeply amused at this post! We've done everything to sharpen my daughter's PC stock pin with much swearing and grumbling - and I confess blaming the PC for shoddy manufacture. Interesting to know this is generally a stock pin issue, rather than a PC one. I have to confess we just tuck the trailing ends in. Under jacket, BP and air jacket it doesn't seem to come loose.

Dunlin

Visit site
Plenty of great tips but just wanted to share mine. I fasten the stock with a safety pin from the back (underneath) and I then thread my stock pin through the small part of the safety pin showing on the front, tricky to explain but I hope I've made sense! I also have the Shires pin and it can't even cope with a thin silk stock.

FubsyMog

Visit site
I've never actually used a stock so may be way off the mark here, but my friend makes jewellery and uses this type of thing as 'blanks' - http://tinyurl.com/ozao3et
(Hope link works!). They are bleddy sharp and very stiff. I think they come in different lengths too.

asset2004

Visit site
I've never actually used a stock so may be way off the mark here, but my friend makes jewellery and uses this type of thing as 'blanks' - http://tinyurl.com/ozao3et
(Hope link works!). They are bleddy sharp and very stiff. I think they come in different lengths too.

that's a kilt pin!
I have a lovely vintage stock pin, found in a local charity shop that works well. Also have a nappy pin in my hat bag for emergencies ;)