Stolen dogs, a thread to post links?

honetpot

Visit site
We have had a spate of dog thefts in our area. Its seemed to be at the start from peoples back gardens, but it has now become more organised, from kennels, including boarding kennels. The dogs targeted seem to be cockers or cocker type crosses. I know most people on here would be very careful where you bought them from but you may see them advertised, these pups go for about £2000 so they may be on your local gumtree etc. They then seem to dump the bitch.

https://www.cambs.police.uk/news-an...tmlFaYzX53PQScMkh28KgDkSIiLQpvdILm-S78gGMewJw
https://www.facebook.com/EastCambsCops/photos/pcb.1739140546226602/1739140439559946/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/EastCambsCops/photos/pcb.1739140546226602/1739140469559943/?type=3&theater
They can be transported across country, one of these dogs was found dumped in Bedfordshire.

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site
Dogs are now a valuable commodity and although theft has always gone on, I was told its getting worse as scrap metal prices have come down and then came Covid and people seem prepared to pay thousands for any dog!

If I tied a £1,000 diamond ring up outside a supermarket, or left it in full view in my car or garden, people would think I was mad, but they seem prepared to do this with dogs.

Crates of dogs have been intercepted before they get on the ferry to Ireland (one big bark Facebook page) but most worryingly on my town's Facebook page people find a dog, post it on there, never seem to involve the dog warden or get the chip read and appear to give it up to the first person to say it's theirs.

It's awful to think they separate mum from the pups and dump her. To a dog thief would that make good economic sense? Surely she could be bred again, and again and again... ??

I think there is an increase in puppies are being snatched from people as well sadly, so Ceifer, be careful with your Sprocker - he is a rather nice colour?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The cottenham pups I believe was a travellers site too.
There was a couple in bluntisham the other weekend I think that were picked up in 24h, but we also had the 3? working collies last year and the 100 dogs on the illegal site so am not 100% sure it is worse this year.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Given the price of puppies right now, I’d be terrified to breed! I mean, you have to advertise, but I recall a breeder in Berks last year thought she was showing one person a puppy and a couple of blokes nicked the whole litter, I think. I think it”s tricky in normal times, Covid appears to have sent prices sky high, so making it more tempting for thieves, I guess.

blodwyn1

Visit site
My friends two Jack Russell bitches disappeared a week ago. They were let out in the garden at 6.30pm and haven't been seen since.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Its very bad in Ireland too especially as a lot of people there keep their dogs outside, some people are thinking they are being stolen to bring over here to sell so I guess the ones being stolen here could end up over there.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There is an absolute tsunami of dog thefts over here (Ireland), people are terrified to let their dogs out of sight - some have even been stolen whilst being walked on lead, just grabbed. Litters of cocker and springer pups seem to be the most vulnerable, they take the mother and pups and then the bitches are often dumped, with their microchips hacked out in several cases. Awful.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
There is an absolute tsunami of dog thefts over here (Ireland), people are terrified to let their dogs out of sight - some have even been stolen whilst being walked on lead, just grabbed. Litters of cocker and springer pups seem to be the most vulnerable, they take the mother and pups and then the bitches are often dumped, with their microchips hacked out in several cases. Awful.

A couple of days ago someone tried to steal a maltese from a lady whilst she was walking it , she put up a fight and they didn't get the dog but it really is bad at the moment.

{97702}

Visit site
A man was arrested yesterday by West Mercia police in a joint operation with Gloucestershire police, he was heading back to Durham and had 30-40 puppies in his van ?

Puppies are all in the care of the RSPCA now, massive well done to the member of the public who saw the man loading puppies into his van in Charlton Kings near Cheltenham, filmed him and phoned the police

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A couple of days ago someone tried to steal a maltese from a lady whilst she was walking it , she put up a fight and they didn't get the dog but it really is bad at the moment.
Saw this, it’s not far from here. In broad daylight, too :oops:.

A DOG owner has been left "shaken up" after a man got out of a white van and attempted to steal her pet while they were on a walk.

The 55-year-old woman was walking her dog, a white Maltese terrier, along Hall Lane in Edge Green, near Broxton, when the transit-style van pulled up alongside her at around 7.45pm yesterday (August 18).

A man then got out of the passenger door, approached the victim and demanded that she hand over the dog.
The woman refused and instead picked up the dog and held it against her chest.

Following a short struggle between the offender and the woman, the driver of the van got out of the vehicle and told the passenger to get back inside.
They then drove off along Hall Lane, travelling towards the A41 Whitchurch Road.

The man who attempted to take the dog was white and is estimated to be in his 50s. He had a medium build, spoke with an Irish accent and was wearing a T-shirt and grey jogging bottoms.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Saw this, it’s not far from here. In broad daylight, too :oops:.

A DOG owner has been left "shaken up" after a man got out of a white van and attempted to steal her pet while they were on a walk.

The 55-year-old woman was walking her dog, a white Maltese terrier, along Hall Lane in Edge Green, near Broxton, when the transit-style van pulled up alongside her at around 7.45pm yesterday (August 18).

A man then got out of the passenger door, approached the victim and demanded that she hand over the dog.
The woman refused and instead picked up the dog and held it against her chest.

Following a short struggle between the offender and the woman, the driver of the van got out of the vehicle and told the passenger to get back inside.
They then drove off along Hall Lane, travelling towards the A41 Whitchurch Road.

The man who attempted to take the dog was white and is estimated to be in his 50s. He had a medium build, spoke with an Irish accent and was wearing a T-shirt and grey jogging bottoms.

Have you seen all the reports of vehicles with Irish number plates currently in the area, I think there are going to be vigilante groups running them out of town soon! There seems to be a lot of frustration at the lack of police action.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Have you seen all the reports of vehicles with Irish number plates currently in the area, I think there are going to be vigilante groups running them out of town soon! There seems to be a lot of frustration at the lack of police action.
Yes, I have, it’s very worrying and the public will be taking things into their own hands.

ETA People are convinced that the occupants of a particular traveller site near Chester are involved - not sure if they are right but if enough people believe it to be true, there could well be trouble.

Last edited:

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yes, I have, it’s very worrying and the public will be taking things into their own hands.

ETA People are convinced that the occupants of a particular traveller site near Chester are involved - not sure if they are right but if enough people believe it to be true, there could well be trouble.

Yeh, there certainly seem to have been a few vans from there acting suspiciously in the Whitchchurch area.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Whilst we have reports of vans with UK plates stealing dogs here in Ireland - you'd think they would communicate!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Given the price puppies are going for, I can’t say I’m amazed at the increased thefts. Despite there being pages and pages of my breed on Pets4homes, they’re still asking for over £2K a pup.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Agree CT, it's crazy.
And advertising price and location on public websites too.

Back in the day you didn't breed until the buyers were lined up and you didn't get a look in unless you were a friend or a friend of a friend/had a reference, everything is arse about face these days sadly.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A man was arrested yesterday by West Mercia police in a joint operation with Gloucestershire police, he was heading back to Durham and had 30-40 puppies in his van ?

Puppies are all in the care of the RSPCA now, massive well done to the member of the public who saw the man loading puppies into his van in Charlton Kings near Cheltenham, filmed him and phoned the police

Well I hope that RSPCA are going to be sensible about returning the pups to their breeders, as it looks as if some are too young to have been chipped.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My worse nightmare , I have just gone and got Dram in and the door he lies outside the open front door in the evening .