Stolen trailers.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
A friend had her trailer stolen recently, she's just found it and got it back. How did she do it?

She got on the internet and searched for it on every FB marketplace in the country, tracked it down, over 20 days it had changed hands at least 3 times, it's been all over the UK and she's driven over 400 miles to retrieve it.

Her advice if it happens to you is the internet is your friend, also register your trailer with https://www.ter-europe.org/ which is the platform trailer dealers use to see if a trailer is stolen. And obviously lock it up!!!

I am so proud of her for not giving up.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Years ago we had a trailer stolen. Weeks later my dad saw it being driven onto the local travellers site. He rang the police who said they would send someone out and meet dad outside the entrance to the site. They sent out a lone police woman who asked "can you see the trailer?" Dad replied no but had seen it going in. She replied "oh we can't go on the site". That was the last we saw of it!!!!

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Two trailers stolen middle of the day from a friends, couldn't see them off the road and had to go behind farm multiple gates, managed to get dashcam footage from someone in another village driving away. Police found trailers one in Wales & one in Kent both owners had to drive and collect them, one had had work done on it and the poor lady who bought in lost all her money.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
The police in my friend's case were absolutely useless. When she told them she'd found the trailer and was going to get it they just said be careful and don't go alone. No back up whatsover.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
I would read the small print before you register anything with the company that you mentioned… if found there is normally a fee to pay.. historically that used to be up to 50% of the value of the item registered. I don’t know what the current arrangement is…

my advice is just ensure it is correctly registered with the Police….

sunnyone

Visit site
As a preventative measure you could try installing a GPS tracker somewhere discreet on the trailer. We have one on one of our vehicles and whenever my OH takes it out I can follow his progress through my phone app. The price of a tracker has come down a lot, so well worth the investment when compared to the cost of the trailer.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Did she have to buy it back?

A lady local to be had her trailer stolen for a second time recently but managed to track it down as she had placed a tracker within! Police sorted that for her!

i live just a little way away from the M40 and there has been ALOT of trailers going missing from around here. I see posts on Facebook every week. It’s so disheartening

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
As mentioned previously, I am not associated in any way with them other than a customer for our plant machinery but the best tracker out there by far for a trailer is Cantrack. It’s a self sealed battery powered unit that you can hide underneath in all the mud and muck. I’ve got them on mine!

MissTyc

Visit site
There are some really good trackers on the market now. Small, discrete, very long battery life. The best ones are not cheap but can be purchased with collection service , i.e. a couple of seriously tough guys who will retrieve your vehicle/trailer for you ... I keep meaning to get one for the horsebox. Keep forgetting ... or, like now, not having the money when I DO remember!