Stomach scoping

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
To cut a long story short, my 5 year old thoroughbred ex-racer, is having behavioural issues. One week she will go sweet as a nut, working amazingly, round, light in the hand, walk, trot, canter, poles and the odd jump (before she gets excited and starts getting carried away).

The next week for no reason what so ever she will explode, nothing sets her off, but she gets dangerous, for example, she tried rearing in canter, lost her backend and nearly fell over. Haven't schooled her since, been hacking and she's fine on the road, has a little silly jog but thats very rare for her.

As it's winter and not hacking weather she's just be going on the Horse Walker why I muck her out (as we only have an all weather turn out which doesn't have any food in, so I like to give her a constant supply as i've been told that a build up of acid without a constant supply of food won't be helping her behaviour), long - rein and lunging, until we find out the problem.

She's just had a new saddle fitted and her back has become a lot stronger, although she's been doing it with this saddle as well, she's just had her feet rebalanced, and she's getting the physio next week. If all else fails, she's going for stomach scoping.

Has anyone has any experience with stomach scoping? Or does anyone else have any other ideas we could look into?

Oberon

Visit site
Not personally but a livery mate had issues with her horse.

He would just suddenly explode. No warning.

When she lacerated her spleen and had other internal injuries - she was advised that the horse was possessed and she should get rid ASAP. Some people even suggested that the horse needed a male owner rather than a female???!

She got the vet to scope him and discovered three huge ulcers :(

A course of Gastroguard and he was perfect again.

The scary thing is that this horse had plenty of turnout and his care was appropriate. Yet still he developed ulcers.