Stoopid question.....

Coblover63

Visit site
.... but can you use a show saddle for everyday use? I know that they don't provide a lot of knee roll support and have a shallow seat but I have a wide, flat-backed traditional and I'm thinking more and more that something like an Ideal Ramsay or a Fylde Haydon will be a closer, flatter fit for him than his current (and frankly uncomfortable as hell!) Wintec Wide 500 AP. Obviously, I would have it fitted correctly.

(I also ride him in a treeless so I'm used to not having knee rolls, btw!!! ;) )

Thanks in advance.

ahorseandadog

Visit site
Probably. It would probably feel a bit wierd if you were going XC because it's not a general purpose saddle but if you were going out for a hack or doing some flatwork then you would be fine. If you can ride if in the ring then why not in the arena?

Firefly9410

Visit site
I posess a few old saddles and none of those have knee rolls or flat seats not even the jumping ones. Surprisingly I can jump fine even in the straight cut showing saddles because the stirrup bar is forward and the flat seat lets me get my bottom back with shorter stirrups so jumping position is no problem. Whenever I have seen show riders they do not seem to have a dressage position even though the saddles are straight at the front. Working hunter riders jump and their saddles do not look that different to ordinary showing saddles. I think you would be fine for everyday riding.

ghostie

Visit site
my trainer (who's a BD judge so hopefully knows what she's talking about) was telling me the other day that she actually prefers show saddles to the modern dressage saddles with deep seats and big blocks. She says she would happily have one instead of a GP too

Highlands

Visit site
My trads in a WHP my mums in a show/ WHP... Why because the flatter saddles seem to fit. Mums saddle has a shallow canter allowing her to get on and off with ease, also has straight gut and it suits both of them.

Tern

Visit site
Why not? Your leg may come forward and be in the wrong positing but that's because of there being no knee rolls.

It can't be worse than jumping in a dressage saddle that has big knee blocks. :D

Theocat

Visit site
My saddle is a WH. I'd like more knee roll occasionally but it's fine for hacking, schooling a little jumps (we only go up to about 60cm!) - the neddy doesn't seem to like anything forward cut, which is why we have one.

Ella19

Visit site
I did but although I like a flat seat I found it too hard for hacking more than an hour. I was gripping with the wrong part of my leg. I still have my show saddle but invested in an ah native pony and Cob saddle, designed for the wider flatter back pony. It's given me a far better seat, I've released my hip and knee and my pony is more confident in it too. Have a look round at other options as well and try a few to see what you are happiest in.

pennyturner

Visit site
When the old pony became unwell his back dipped. The only saddle we have that fitted afterwards was an old Lionel Dunning show saddle. He's now better, and riding like he's 10 years younger, jumping ditches and hooning happily, although he doesn't do 'proper' jumping. The children are loving it; no falls to date (despite some spectacularly cavalier riding), and they don't seem to miss knee rolls at all.
His back is no longer half as dipped, having built up his muscles again, but he won't be going back in the old saddle, as he clearly prefers this one.

smja

Visit site
When I got my horse, the only saddle we had to fit him was a show saddle. Rode in that for a few months, did everything (inc. sj and xc) on it with no issues :)

WelshD

Visit site
back in the day I (probably like many others) did all of my teenage riding in half panel show saddles, that included hunter trials, gymkhana games etc!

They are good for your seat IMHO however nowadays I would probably go for a working hunter saddle for that bit more support