Stopping a horse from over jumping?

Bright Spark

Visit site
Hi
Does anyone have any ideas for stopping a horse over jumping. we are jumping 2ft3" - 2ft9" and she jumps them a foot higher or more! Then when I try to go higher she just refuses any ideas? Thanks in advance

Casey76

Visit site
Over jumping is often a lack of confidence.

I found grid work a real help for my mare who has only just started jumping at 7.

Initially she would clear everything with ar least a foot to sapre, especially if fillers were involved. now, with practice, she is a lovely careful jumper, who rarely touches a bar, but doesn't waste extra energy with extra efforts.

be positive

Visit site
Over jumping is often a lack of confidence.

I found grid work a real help for my mare who has only just started jumping at 7.

Initially she would clear everything with ar least a foot to sapre, especially if fillers were involved. now, with practice, she is a lovely careful jumper, who rarely touches a bar, but doesn't waste extra energy with extra efforts.

Definitely a sign of a horse that is lacking confidence possibly combined with being underpowered or held back a bit, plenty of appropriate gridwork should be really beneficial, ideally with a good instructor who can make tiny adjustments to help her gain confidence as well as improve her technique.

Barnacle

Visit site
I would also try taking the jumps down to a cross pole she can trot over and go over and over until she does just trot it. Then start raising it gradually. You can do this on a grid.

old hand

Visit site
I loose jump them down grids until they get lower to the jumps and look like they have confidence, then raise them slightly and repeat. It is lack of confidence. without a rider they can work it out for themselves and there is no chance of the rider being left behind and pulling them about.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Several things can cause over jumping .
Grid work helps most of them .
If it's combined with dwelling in air you need a better canter .