Stopping a horse getting it’s tongue over the bit

windand rain

Visit site
Some even use cavessons cranked as tight as it will go. Make sure the bit is low enough to not slide against his teeth but high enough not to clank on his canines only then will you know how many joints. I do think the most stable bit in the mouth is a Myler comfort snaffle

paddi22

Visit site
it might be worth going to a bitting expert. My 'tonguey' one was in a single eggbutt snaffle and the bitting guy explained it was too thick for her mouth as she has a big tongue and very fleshy pallet, so she literally could not swallow properly and that was causing the messing around with her tongue. He also said the single jointed eggbut snaffle was one of the harder bits to use on some horses, it can have a very strong effect and it's a myth that its a 'soft' bit. When he played videos of it in action in a horses mouth, you can see the effect.

Annagain

Visit site
Arch was terrible for getting his tongue over the bit when I first had him and was generally very unhappy in the the mouth. 18 months of trial and error and a lot of money later we settled on a hanging cheek mullen mouth. He also needs a 6" as he has huge, fleshy lips and the only one I could find was a Myler one. At the time I moaned about having to buy such and expensive one just because of size , but now I think it it would only ever be the right one for him. The mouthpiece is very thin and it also has quite a pronounced curve which is great for his huge tongue. This and a waterford are the only mouthpieces he's ever been happy in. (not suggesting you try a waterford, just saying A seems to like it!)

The bit itself was important but another thing that made a big difference was a micklem bridle. I've said this on here many times before but my instructor has a theory that the whole anatomical design isn't that big a deal, but what they do well is hold the bit very still in the mouth and if your horse likes/needs that, they make a big difference.

SamBean

Visit site
Another bombers fan for fleshy tongue small mouth tb, suddenly went very light and soft in mouth and not we've not looked back. Tried NS lozenge first and he hated it but my other tb goes well in his. He will occasionally stick his tongue out but not in a evasive way, just when he is really happy! He is in a cavesson noseband too.
The bit bank helped us, I emailed and really happy with the advice i had.

Goldenstar

Visit site
C came to me with a serious tongue over the bit issue .
I cured it with time retraining a mass of veterinary and physio that I put to get him comfortable .
Research the horses thoractic sling and the horses hydroid .
Tongue over the bit is rarely a mouth problem it’s a body problem .