Stopping for a poo ?

putasocinit

Visit site
Fattlumpkin you have all of summer not to worry about that then. I wonder if your YO was the lady who in a racehorse village complained about the horse poo on the road, so the trainor asked her if they expected the riders to stop and pick it up and carry a muck sack, lol

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Fattlumpkin you have all of summer not to worry about that then. I wonder if your YO was the lady who in a racehorse village complained about the horse poo on the road, so the trainor asked her if they expected the riders to stop and pick it up and carry a muck sack, lol

Gosh I wouldn't ask a question like that in jest, the villagers here would only reply "Yes, thankyou!". We had a raging debate on the village facebook group the day someone's horse pooped in front of the village library :p

Potato!

Visit site
My boy will stop and poo. Even out hunting he has to stop. I try and get him moving but it's a hell of a job to get him to take a few steps till he has finished. I do activily discourage it but without beating the crap out of him (excuse the pun) I don't know what else to try.

TrasaM

Visit site

Both of the villages we often ride through have a FB page and the commonest complaint is that horses are pooing on the road ! Always guaranteed to bring out the ranting Horses Shouldn't Be on the Roads brigade :)

vanrim

Visit site
My mare refuses to move and poo. She is a tidy little thing and hates getting it on her hocks. You can do whatever you like - she will just stop, but I have to say in her defence, she never plays on it.

Thank goodness someone has a mare like mine. She just can't seem to go and move at the same time and it seems mean to slap her with the stick for wanting to go to the loo. She never plays on it though.

peanut

Visit site
My horse is never allowed to stop to poo when ridden .. but when in hand, it's impossible to move her until she's finished!

xTrooperx

Visit site
My horse has never ever poo'ed while on the move this includes the field - though does make cleaning field easier. We only hack so no problem , but if I really really pushed she may step forwards a step of two.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine is ex riding school, he tried to stop for a poo once when I got him, got told off and not done it since. Not affected his pooing when ridden ability, esp on exciting fast rides!

If walking in the school I will let him slow a bit to make it easier for me to pick up or if wearing his reflective leg wraps on a hack.

He is another in the field who stops to go, also has a "toilet" spot in his stable

Old instructor used to say "if he were being chased by a lion would he stop and poo?!"

Last edited:

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I was thinking about this when we were out yesterday. I always let the lad stop and make a big deal of his poo times, accompanied by grunting and a huge sigh. It's one of his pleasures in life, and he's much faster afterwards.. :eek:

I was helping at an RDA display one, that was watched by Princess Anne, and she said jokingly afterwards that you shouldn't let a horse stop to poo. RDA ponies take the time to have a breather as well as a poo, haha !

So what is the concensus on stopping or pushing them on ?

I was always taught never to allow a horse to stop for a poo. If you're competing, the horse mustn't stop, so don't allow the horse to get in the habit.

livetoride

Visit site
As for the comment above from some idiot "they should feel the stick", come and sit on my toilet for a dump and I'll gladly hit you with my whip while you're turfing one out. See how you like it.

Calm down. I merely meant that I would give a little tickle to discourage a horse from stopping. I am not suggesting any more than that. Maybe I am old fashioned, but horses do not need to stop and if you compete then it is totally unacceptable for obvious reasons.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Calm down. I merely meant that I would give a little tickle to discourage a horse from stopping. I am not suggesting any more than that. Maybe I am old fashioned, but horses do not need to stop and if you compete then it is totally unacceptable for obvious reasons.

I know they don't actually NEED to stop, and whilst my TB is perfectly happy to dance and dump at the same time the little native just can't. I have tried a "tickle" and it is defiantly ignored. I'm not prepared to leather her for stopping to poo, so I just have to accept that's the way she is.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When we are working the horses they know not to stop to poo. If you stop your horse or allow it to stop to poo when you're riding you will probably have them stop when competing as they won't know the difference & you don't want that.

Tnavas

Visit site
Always keep horse moving. I never let my school horses stop as it totally stuffs up the progress of the lesson. Imagine at least 6 of them stopping at some point in the lesson, the rest crash into the stopped pony, the poor rider can end up falling off when the pony stops dead in its tracks.

Horses are more than capable of pooing on the move, they certainly wouldn't stop if they had a predator after them.

happyclappy

Visit site
have always asked them to continue, which they have done happily. we have had lots of ride and drives and you always ask a driving horse to carry on. funnily, my youngster has not wanted to poo while out hacking yet.

nervous nelly

Visit site
My sisters little ex moor once stopped in the middle of his show to poo and would not move until he was finished was strange because he never used to stop to poo just this one day at a big show

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Thinking about this today - Shy deposits his in a huge pile. Is this a marking thing ?

I understand that when horses are fleeing, they poo to make things lighter and faster, but i still think horses must mark territory ?

Tnavas

Visit site
Thinking about this today - Shy deposits his in a huge pile. Is this a marking thing ?

I understand that when horses are fleeing, they poo to make things lighter and faster, but i still think horses must mark territory ?

Stallions sniff a:dropping and then turn round and poop on top of he dropping. Mares and geldings sniff and poop.

Occasionally geldings like stallions will dung in a pile, often when they have either matured sexually when young or have been gelded late.