Stories of courage please! Wibbling like a mad thing!

BIrish

Visit site
I'm a bit of a lurker here normally but thought I'd ask for some tales of bravery please!

Weather permitting I'm taking my horse, Stan, (7yo OTTB who's very green) hunting for the first time tomorrow. He's a baby and I haven't hunted since my old horse had a leg injury 5 years ago and am now suffering from a huge attack of nerves!
shocked.gif

Help! Would love to hear from people who did their first "thing" (Hunt/Sj/Whatever) regardless of nerves and survived!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I had a nasty fall about 8 years, go ended up in hospital for a week flat on my back with a suspected fractured something in my neck. I was 13. At the time of the accident was distraught that I couldn't get back on and instead had to be carted off by ambulance.

While in hospital is wibbled away thinking I'd never get back on a horse, my mum fed me French fries and grated cheese sarnies (both of which I craved like mad).

I got discharged and told to be very careful as they couldnt give me a neck brace (too ols school I think). I had to have physio twice a week and he said no riding for at least 6 months I think.

About 2 weeks later I went back to the riding school where I worked, wibbled all morning as I wasn't allowed to do much but I wanted to be there. In the end, I got on the quietest cob ever in my lunch break, it took me about 15 minutes to pluck up the courage to get on and then took me ages to go anywhere (I was being led). I did one circuit round the sand school and hopped off.

8 years on, I'm riding all the time now and before uni I had my own.

You can do it. Think positive, instead of thinking 'can I do it', think 'I CAN do it'. There's no such word as can't.

Think of it as a normal hack (but there might be a few more people there)!

Sod's law says now it will rain!

Have fun and smile!

Kat x

BIrish

Visit site
Blimey Kat_Bath you must have been v frightened (although now you've mad me hungry!) .. well done to get back on..it always takes some big kahuna's to get back on when you've had a fall that ends in A&E / Hospital stays..

I CAN do it!
laugh.gif

spike123

Visit site
I took my green 6yo on his first hunt a couple of months back and it was also my first hunt.I was just as nervous as you are now worried about lack of brakes and passing the master.Fortunately I had nothing to worry about.My horse behaved beautifully until it was time to go home when a horse bolted and before I could stop him mine followed. I stopped him by turning him towards the canal and the quad bike stopped in front of it.Fortunately I managed to stop without jumping the quad and ending up in the water.Go and have fun,ideally go with a friend who will agree to come home with you should it prove too much for your horse or you and I am sure everything will be just fine.Generally speaking first time out most horses are so fascinated by what is happening they usually behave perfectly so stop worrying.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Yup you can!

As for the hunger, every time without fail. I had to go to A & E to get my knee checked after I got a hefty kick just after Christmas and I was in there an hour and came out wanted french fries and a grated cheese sarnie (has to be grated though)!

Good luck
smile.gif

DTMDAN

Visit site
I am watching this with interest. Have had a couple of months of following a fall resulting in a pin in my arm following 3 days in hospital. So am having a bit of a wibble of my, own hoping to get the ok next week (after 10 weeks!).

I am sure once you get to the meet the nerves will go and once the field gets moving you will wonder what you were so worried about.

As for hunger - hmmmm put almost 2 stone on since I did it
shocked.gif

BIrish

Visit site
Sadly I have no-one to come with me mounted
frown.gif
but the hunt I belong to are super supportive and thrilled I am finally making it out - they are a great crowd and will look after me
smile.gif

The close call with the canal is a bit :eek: ! Hopefully Stanny will behave himself, he's usually very laid back and even his leapy bits aren't very leapy! It's the jumping I'm more worried about tbh - he has a huge jump (hsa jumped me off at home) and when his blood is up it's even bigger - and hunting here means jumping! I'll have a Jesus strap though which I'll be making much use of!

Kat_Bath - Would 11.25am be too early for a grated cheese sambo ? I'm obsessed now!

BIrish

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am watching this with interest. Have had a couple of months of following a fall resulting in a pin in my arm following 3 days in hospital. So am having a bit of a wibble of my, own hoping to get the ok next week (after 10 weeks!).

I am sure once you get to the meet the nerves will go and once the field gets moving you will wonder what you were so worried about.

As for hunger - hmmmm put almost 2 stone on since I did it
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always a bit of a nervewracking situation getting back on after a bad fall. Bizarrely once you are back sat in the saddle it feels like home (well, for me anyway) it's the bit between foot in stirrup and bum in saddle that's the worst bit I find.

I had nearly a year off a while ago, my horse stood up then fell backwards on me, fracturing several vertebrae, my pelvis and my jaw in two places amongt some other minor fractures.. I was so afraid getting back on that I was sick all down his shoulder when he took his first step!
blush.gif
but we got our mojo back ! So will you!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Kat_Bath - Would 11.25am be too early for a grated cheese sambo ? I'm obsessed now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha, no! 11.25am is a perfect time!

Lordy100

Visit site
when you go out make sure you take a hip flask. It will make you feel more positive, then all your positive thoughts will transmit to your horse and you will have a lovely day.

BIrish

Visit site
A good sized flask of Percy Special will be attending with me! And several hot ports will be had for good measure! (The owner of our local, where the meet is, makes a "Hunting Port" too.. Hot port with a shot of sloe gin in! I'll be having that!)

legaldancer

Visit site
I used to be exactly the same before hunting & wondered why I put myself through it. I'd had a couple of bad experiences with a loopy TB who was unsuitable for hunting & it had knocked my confidence.
I now have a less-loopy TB who has given me my confidence back, so much so that I subscribed this season. I hadn't fallen off for 4 years, so my confidence had grown. So much so that I competed in my first Team Chase which was great fun!
I used to take Rescue Remedy before going. I'm not sure if it worked or not, it was probably more a placebo effect! You could try that.
Unfortunately, I did fall off 6 weeks ago & broke my collar bone. Going to A&E meant I couldn't get back on straight away (wouldn't have been able to anyway), & as time has gone on I think nerves may be setting in again. Hopefully I'll be given the all-clear to ride again next week, so will start off hacking again. I hope to get out again before the season ends if I can get my chap fit enough, as he's also ended up having a bit of a holiday.
Once you get going & your blood's up, you'll be fine.

legaldancer

Visit site
I forgot to say about the hip flask! I have a port at the meet & then keep topped up all day with a swig or three of raspberry vodka! Dutch Courage works wonders. Don't have too much though or you will fall off!
wink.gif

Broken_Sonnet

Visit site
WibblyB you'll be fine! Stan is great and a wonderful jumper so he'll look after you- and as you said, you have a Jesus strap (you can't use it without shrieking JESUS or something similar
wink.gif
)

Plus, get a bit bevvied up and you probs won't notice the vast majority of it. The drains will probably be frozen and therefore are not really drains, just bits of shiny ground
wink.gif

As you know I broke my back too and am nowhere near riding the same amount as you so you are LOADS braver than me (have ridden about 7 times since I did it nearly 2 years ago :S) Can Rips come with you on foot?

Good luck and ENJOY it
laugh.gif
oh and nowt wrong with a bit of a wibble...:)

BIrish

Visit site
Thanks Sonnet! I'll be trying hard not to puke on poor Stanny
wink.gif
but guarantee nothing!

You are doing well so far I thought! 2 years isn't a long time tbh after an injury like that.. You'll be fine! I'm not brave - simply stupid
laugh.gif

canteron

Visit site
I had a cross country lesson last August with 2 other girl - and blimey, they couldn't get over a 2' fence without a whole load of 'oh mi god it's so big' type chat) - but they have taken their (previously unhunted) horses out all season and have done just fine.

Moral - it they can, anyone can!!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Daughter got on Little Cob agan, despite the last ride resulting in him going backwards at speed then climbing on the rockery around a tree (didn't know there was a rockery until then!). She was scared
frown.gif
This was a couple of years ago and she was still new to horses.

Mine was less 'amazing' - getting on new neddy the first day I got her. She's big and young and it's like riding a snake on a roller coaster
wink.gif
A few hundred yards down the lane and back in one piece - I was so chuffed
smile.gif

Hope all goes well tomorrow and that you have great fun.