Storing saddle long term

ponyparty

Visit site
I've finally got round to going through some of my boy's stuff, deciding what to sell and what to keep.
His saddle was bought brand new for him; it's a Kent and Masters GP with adjustable gullet. If/when I get another horse, I'm hoping it might fit - or if not and I need a different tree shape, I'll sell/part-ex it for one that does when it comes to that time. But that may not be for several years, until I have the time and money for a horse again!

So - how is it best to store a saddle for this length of time?
I presume I'll have to get it out and oil it from time to time, to stop the leather going brittle?
Keep it in the house or outside in the garage/similar? It's been in the house for the last 6 months or so, on the back of a dining chair. I have a Stubbs rack for the wall so when I decide where to keep it, I can mount that and saddle can sit on there.

Or is this madness and I should just sell it? I'm not desperate for the cash, or the space really, so seems a waste to sell!

I've put the stuff I'm selling on FB Marketplace - if you fancy a mooch, pm me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
My two are just in the house and they get a wipe over with some conditioner a couple of times a year. They've been there a couple of years now.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Depends on where in your house and your climate. I kept one in a spare bedroom closet for a few years and it did fine. It was away from any direct heat source. I took off the cover to give it a look every now and again, but it was fine. I think I conditioned it once because I was feeling nostalgic, but that's it!

Hold on to it if you want to. It's adjustable and you like it, so it could be fit to the next one, you never know. I sold a saddle after selling a horse and regretted it as it would've fit my other horse I eventually bought. If it's something I own, reusable, and I don't need the cash, then I hold on to it.

Trouper

Visit site
My K&M sat on the rail (decent diameter) in the spare bedroom wardrobe for a few years. Bit of periodic attention. Main thing is not to sit it on the flocking for any length of time unless you have lots - and I mean lots - of padding to stop the support making dents in the flocking.

doodle

Visit site
My K&M sat on the rail (decent diameter) in the spare bedroom wardrobe for a few years. Bit of periodic attention. Main thing is not to sit it on the flocking for any length of time unless you have lots - and I mean lots - of padding to stop the support making dents in the flocking.

Echo that, I made that mistake and had to get it reflocked as it had made dents.

Cocorules

Visit site
Personally I would get rid of it. There is a good chance it won't fit the next one and it just clutters up the place in the meantime. I have kept stuff far too often and it would have been better to let someone else have the use of it. I am much more ruthless these days!

Baywonder

Visit site
Yes, I echo others regarding storing saddles. Metal saddle racks can cause a lot of damage. If you do have to use one, pipe lagging is a good idea to go around the metal, or a thick piece of foam rubber, or very thick blankets.

My old boy's saddle has done a tour of the house - it has been stored in a bag in the attic, the spare room, the living room, and now the children's playroom. I give it a clean periodically with old fashioned (non-glycerin) saddle soap, and it is as good as new. The same goes for his bridles.

I could never bring myself to sell them. Ever.

ponyparty

Visit site
Spare room is a good shout - we don't have the radiator on in there unless guests are coming to stay (unlikely at the moment..!).

Yes the reason it's on the back of a dining chair at the moment is so it's resting on the gullet rather than the panels. I hate those metal saddle racks that leaves indentations in your saddle, it makes me wince for the horses' backs. So I was thinking that wherever I decide to store it, I'll just install my nice fold down Stubbs saddle rack.

Good to know I won't have to do much to it - because I guarantee I won't remember to!

Thanks for the replies, all :)

gunnergundog

Visit site
From a financial perspective you would probably be best off selling the saddle now whilst relatively new. If you wait a few years, you may find that newer models in your make have superseded it and fashions also come and go, all of which will impact on the resale price even though it will have had no use for that period of time. Personally, I would sell now.....buy new horse as and when and then source saddle specifically for that animal.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would probably sell for all the reasons stated. Use a good conditioner in decent quantity before storing and wrap in cotton sheeting, some saddle bags will be fine, some might not be quite breathable enough for long term.

Yes, I echo others regarding storing saddles. Metal saddle racks can cause a lot of damage. If you do have to use one, pipe lagging is a good idea to go around the metal, or a thick piece of foam rubber, or very thick blankets.

For the saddles I fit (soft leather and Jacob flocking) the panels just get wider, shallower dents from pipe lagging, and the 1/2" stuff is worse. I recommend a folded travel rug or an old synthetic pillow, either can be loosely duck taped onto a "spoon shaped" wire saddle rack. I agree the pole racks are better, whoever decided panels needed supporting needs to have their head wobbled. Storing long term I would try and put on a pole or wooden rack or similar. A dressage saddle can be store on its nose but anything forward cut will end up with warped flaps.

ponyparty

Visit site
Hmm maybe I should just sell then :( feels wrong. Not sure why. OH contributed to the cost as part of a Christmas present, and it reminds me of my boy, I suppose. But if it doesn't make financial sense and is going to be a pain to have around *shrug* I'll think about it for a bit longer, it seems happy enough sat on the back of a dining chair at the moment :) (resting on the gullet, not the panels!).

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have a hide in my workshop I bought for a set job back in 1987 (Harness Back) .I didn't use it all and still have what's left and it's in perfect nick in my workshop. The temperature is good, around 56 degrees, it's dry, it's under a cotton sheet and I dress my hides with my own leather conditioner as in the article instructions I sent you earlier Ponyparty. 33 years and the hide is still good, good enough for me to use to make things with, so you can keep saddlery in good condition when you know how.
Oz

Last edited: