Story of a cattle horse

Slave2Magic

Visit site
My frind did a 9 hour round trip yesterday to pick up a horse that she had paid for 6 weeks ago. The owner had several excuses as to why the horse couldn't be collected so yesterday she set off to wales to collect him. The owner had said that he was not as well covered as she would have liked. What greeted my frind was a total shock.

He is 12 years old and very poor. Needless to say my friend loaded him up and brought him home. It turns out he is one of the 60 horses stranded in floods back in december. I have found pictures of him stuck in the floodwater and swimming out. What this lad has been through I dread to think but he will be seen by a vet and looked after from now on! His coat is scurfy and covered in bald patches. We have checked for lice and he is clear. At least we can slowly get some weight on him over the next few months. He is a real sweetie.

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Because he was such a long way away she had pictures sent to her by email. He was nowhere near as poor as this! He is an ex polo pony and she wanted his to do polocrosse. Obviously that will now be a long way down the line.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
My frind did a 9 hour round trip yesterday to pick up a horse that she had paid for 6 weeks ago. The owner had several excuses as to why the horse couldn't be collected so yesterday she set off to wales to collect him. The owner had said that he was not as well covered as she would have liked. What greeted my frind was a total shock.

He is 12 years old and very poor. Needless to say my friend loaded him up and brought him home. It turns out he is one of the 60 horses stranded in floods back in december. I have found pictures of him stuck in the floodwater and swimming out. What this lad has been through I dread to think but he will be seen by a vet and looked after from now on! His coat is scurfy and covered in bald patches. We have checked for lice and he is clear. At least we can slowly get some weight on him over the next few months. He is a real sweetie.

Good grief, poor lad! So pleased he's been picked up, he's going to be a nice looking horse when he's recovered. Best of luck to his new owner, I'm sure he'll repay you in spades when he's better.

meandmyself

Visit site
Poor boy. :( Least we're going into summer and not winter. He should pick up pretty quickly if you can get a bit of grass into him.

Adopter

Visit site
Glad your friend still collected him and he will have a good home.

Did she see any of the other 60 odd horses that were stranded, and is there any news about what happened to them?

So many sad stories about horses and ponies being in such terrible conditions this year.

Slave2Magic

Visit site
I don't know if she saw any of the other horses from the floods. It was definately the same woman that moved from Gloucestershire though. it was a very remote hillside farm and if this lad is anything to go by it doesn't bode well for the others.

debsandpets

Visit site
That would be Monique then ............

I bought my boys from her several years ago, it seems like she doesn't change much with her ability or attitude to horse care tbh either !!!!
Poor lad, no doubt he will be fine soon enough, these criollos are as tough as the proverbial ............!!!

The only thing to worry about with criollos is they don't tend to tolerate hard feed very well, fibre ie Alfa etc is fine but cereals tend to send them batty and Monique doesn't advocate feeding them hard feed at all (can you tell) ???

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Debsandpets - think I tried a few of hers out a few years ago (does she have a husband called Byron?), they all looked a tad in the rough side :(

debsandpets

Visit site
Debsandpets - think I tried a few of hers out a few years ago (does she have a husband called Byron?), they all looked a tad in the rough side :(

That would be one and the same. I tried out about 10 when I went initially in Newbury, many didn't feel right, but settled on 2 of them. Never got a receipt for one of them, but by all accounts OH and I got off lightly with them. Some of the horses I tried have been crippled with lameness issues, some have even mysteriously died. They delivered my boys, one of which was missing most of his facial hair (not been treated to help him). Thankfully their past is behind them now and they haven't looked back.

We started playing Polocrosse with our boys, but have decided to knock it on the head now :-( due to dented confidence issues and club politics too unfortunately.

Slave2Magic

Visit site

Did she have a horse called Corillo when you went? She is supposed to have had him for 3 years. He has an argentine passport and appears to have come to the uk in 2007 so I wonder where he was inbetween?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
The only horses name I remember was a bay called Romeo, also tried a little 14hh dun who had supposedly done everything (and had apparantly been on top gear) and a larger dun who's name when translated into English means BBQ grill or something. There were many I passed by due to their questionable limb conformation who's names I never knew

debsandpets

Visit site
Yup, Corillo. We own a Bay roan called Romeo, (who is the OH's) and a golden dun who was called Croto initially, but got changed to Nico before we had him - he is quite sharp, but good fun most of the time BUT he can't be hacked out alone unfortunately - or he can give the Spanish riding school some tips on the airs above ground .................. which can be rather alarming. Allegedly Romeo used to belong to Richard Hammond (off top gear), but I very much doubt it ;-)

We have returned to happy hacking yesterday after not riding them for 7 months (manky weather blues and lack of facilities), they were both as good as gold - which is why I wanted Criollos in the first place. Check saddle fit and hop straight on (if all ok) and they are 99% of the time absolutely fine to hack straight out :)

Landcruiser

Visit site
Ha ha, Debsandpets, I thought that too! I hopped on my Pat this morning after not riding him since September, and he broncked me off about 5 minutes later:eek:

(Pat came from Monique 5 years ago and was pretty poor...and has had ongoing lameness and metabolic issues ever since. I also have another criollo who went through her hands but I bought privately 4 years ago. Good in every way.)

When I tried horses out there (Hungerford, near Newbury), I remember trying a lovely dark liver chestnut mare, about 15.1 or 2. She was lovely to ride but had a dreadful full length crack on one front hoof, which put me off. Wonder what happened to her. I also tried one called Limon, a palomino...good stocky little pony. Ditto.

I'm very sad to see this pony and the state it's in...it doesn't bode well for the others, as someone already said. These are great horses if you happen to get one without health issues (and they are tough, resilient, sensible (mostly!) and easy).

Says she with a bruised backside after a not so graceful flip through the air this morning!:rolleyes:

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Debsandpets - Ha!! I tried your Romeo! She spam me the same Richard Hammond story :p

Landcruiser - was the dark liver chestnut mare called something like esperella? Think I looked at her, saw the forelimb conformation and a big crack in one hoof and walked off!

debsandpets

Visit site
Awww Niki, hope your bum isn't too bruised lol

Amazing how we all walked away from so many of her horses at some point !!! Super_kat, what did you think to him out of interest ?? He has changed so much from when we got him to now :)