Stowing stirrups that can't be run up

stimpy

Visit site
I recently switched to using single thickness stirrup leathers with conway buckles and although I love the feel of them I am increasingly irritated at not being able to run the stirrups up. I have been crossing my stirrups over the saddle when stored and trying not to pull up the skirt where they cross but I have noticed that where the conway buckle sits over the twist it is marking the leather :( What do other folk do to stow their stirrups when they can't be run up?

SEL

Visit site
Oven gloves! Actually I have the WOW equivalent which came with the saddle but they are pretty much the same as oven gloves. The stirrup irons sit where your hands go so the metal is covered and then if you cross them over the saddle the material protects the leather.

If I've explained that really badly I'll take a photo later!!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
I also found this and I have Acavallo Opera stirrups with the large cheese grater bottoms.. I was so worried about them marking my saddles.
I bought Fleece stirrup covers on ebay really cheap.. I have the wintec t- bars so i dont have a buckle or any metal exposed.

But.. maybe you could find stirrup covers that would be big enough to also cover the buckle as they are secured with an elastic toggle thingy!

stimpy

Visit site
Oven gloves! Actually I have the WOW equivalent which came with the saddle but they are pretty much the same as oven gloves. The stirrup irons sit where your hands go so the metal is covered and then if you cross them over the saddle the material protects the leather.

What an excellent idea, very many thanks! (And I understand perfectly what you mean :) )

BenvardenRach2

Visit site

Oven gloves.. that's awesome!

stimpy

Visit site
But.. maybe you could find stirrup covers that would be big enough to also cover the buckle as they are secured with an elastic toggle thingy!

I had looked at those as I've seen other people using them but thought it would be a bit of a faff putting each stirrup into a pouch and it didn't seem to solve the rubbing buckle issue though it's a good suggestion to get ones big enough to cover everything. However, the oven gloves suggestion above is just genuis!

supsup

Visit site
I run my T-bar leathers under the saddle flap, so can't run them up either. I clip the stirrup into a carabiner hanging from extra D-rings fixed to the saddle behind the flap. That way, the dirty stirrups dangle under the rear part of the saddle seat. I'm aware not all saddles are equipped with extra D-rings around the rim of the seat in the rear, but if yours is, then this is a neat solution. I remove the carabiners completely when competing etc., but otherwise just leave them on the saddle. You can even get special clips for this purpose:
https://www.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Hors.../Saddles-Accessories/BioThane-Stirrup-Holders

lauracwd2

Visit site
1549890283291.png
I have the wow stirrup slippers too but I think you can get other brands (Le Mieux maybe?) but they are essentially oven glove shaped as mentioned already.

Otherwise

Visit site
I have freejumps so just take the stirrups off, being able to take them off and put them on without undoing them is really useful, only problem is when you go out xc schooling and forget them! Stirrup slippers or oven gloves look like a good way of avoiding that, I'll have to get some.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
View attachment 29546
I have the wow stirrup slippers too but I think you can get other brands (Le Mieux maybe?) but they are essentially oven glove shaped as mentioned already.

Looks like a pairs of small throw-over bags. If you have a sewing machine, you could probably knock up a pair out of cloth or felt, with some binding tape, in under half an hour.

I take my own stirrups and leathers to the yard when I ride, so they just go in the bottom of my groom back, along with brushes, head collar, helmet, hoof pick, lunge rope, bag of treats, tendon and fetlock boots, hip flask, crop, sweat scraper, spare hoof pick...

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Although a great idea I found oven gloves were not big enough. So I made 2 bags lined with old towelling, put slidey jacket fastenings on draw cords on each and then joined them together with a wide band also lined with towelling. Easy to put on , easy to wash and cheap.