Strain to Check Ligament

ChestnutHunter

Visit site
I took my young Welsh D xc schooling for the first time at Somerford three weeks ago and the day after there was noticeable swelling to her left fore. Yesterday she had a lameness work up and was only 1/10 lame, but found she has strained her check ligament. We have already been cold hosing 3 x daily for the past three weeks, and have tried magnetic stable boots which do actually seem to bring the swelling down, although it is barely 'up' any more. We have been advised one more week of box rest, with turnout on a flat field from next week. Get back on and start walking in straight lines in a further three weeks time. We also have some steroid gel to apply daily.

I just wondered if there was anything more I can do in the meantime, although it is not torn or badly damaged as such. I have never had a horse with check ligament issue before so I am somewhat clueless about the best route to take. I also will have access to an ultrasound machine this week so was hoping to do that daily if possible.

Also, does any body have advice on the best boots (if any) to use when back in work? I am reluctant to use boots as a rule having had a horse with PSD before and I am super fussy about heat on legs, but would like to support where possible. SJ we are only jumping about 90 max and XC only ooking to do a BE80 this year.

Advice greatly appreciated!

be positive

Visit site
The treatment plan sounds good, most recover well from this type of injury.

Boots will not offer any support, despite the claims by manufacturers so if you don't tend to use them for protection then leave her legs bare certainly for the rehab work and look at some airflow ones for xc to help prevent knocks which are always a slight risk when jumping at speed.
I rehabbed a racehorse from a tendon injury with no boots being worn apart from when he was back in full work when he wore some for fast work and racing but not for support just in case of a strike from his hind foot, his legs looked super, cold, tight and he remained sound.
If you concentrate on getting the horse as fit as you can and used to working on varied terrain so her legs are well conditioned she will have her own support to help prevent another injury.