Strange back issue - also in Tack Room

sherry90

Visit site
Sorry this is long but wanted to give some context, explanation which gives a better picture.

My gelding has been in work over winter 4/5 times a week. X2 hacking and the rest a combo of schooling and poles/jumping. He’s a 6yo but green and had most of summer last year off due to me having an op and him laminitis (now both fully recovered).

His schooling, whilst green, is coming on great. He was fully clipped 29th Dec and I stupidly took the saddle patch away as I messed the pattern up -note to self next time follow the lines from the last clip. Rode as usual no problems. I rode him Saturday (4th Jan) again no issues. He had Sunday 5th and Monday 6th off and was full livery over these days so I didn’t spot anything and neither did the yard manager. He is changed from turnout to stable every day. Tuesday evening I unrugged and noticed he had a small slightly raised area over his back, probably as big as a 2p but not completely round in shape. Pressing it had no reaction and he wasn’t sore over his back at this point. I thought with it being mild it might have been a heat reaction so I dropped him from a 100g fill to a 50g fill.

Rode him on the Tuesday to see how he felt and he went well. Wednesday he had off. Thursday same again no reaction to palpating it so rode and again no issues at all, perhaps a little stiffer on the left rein but this isn’t unusual for him being his worse rein. It’s only noticeable in lateral work but with him being young he’s only just learning so some stiffness/crookedness is expected. Thursday, Friday I gave him off. Saturday morning I checked him again and it was clear he was tight and a tiny bit sore either side of the lump but moreso to the left side. When he puts his head down to the floor it disappears and if he flexes either way it goes too!

He has 6 monthly chiro, physio and saddle checks or more regularly if an issue crops up, he was last done in September so these are both booked in this week and next just to be sure. Vet is also due for jabs at the end of the month too so I will inform them the physio is coming and ask them to have a look over him as well.

Never any issues with bucking or dramatic behaviour, he’s a seeetheart. He has in the past (when first backed at 4yo) had issues with picking the correct canter but now is spot on. Saddle doesn’t tip/rock although as he lost some weight over spring/summer we are currently using a pro lite with shims. But he’s been ridden in this set up since Sept and been fine up til now.

I suppose I’m just wondering (and of course worrying!) over what it could be. It came up a week after clipping him and two days off.

Saddle fit?
Pulled himself in the field?
Clipping him over the saddle area has caused a rub or friction from the saddle pad?
Has the clip adjusted the saddle fit so much it’s made him sore?
His field mate could have bitten him there when grooming? ??‍♀️
Something going on with the vertebrae?
I have had a spine op so maybe I’m wonky and causing pressure on one seatbone? Booked myself in for physio this week too just to check!
Could he have damaged the ligament?

So many possibilities. I’m of course thinking worst case scenario and he’s completely broken ?

Has anyone else had this occur? If so, what was it for your horse?

SaddlepadHoarder

Visit site
My horse had a lump on his back about a year ago. Appeared one day and I thought it was maybe from heat as he was very hairy. Left it a week stayed but didn't grow and I continued to ride him. It was never sore and the vet took a look and the physio and it was just a lump. Nothing malicious or anything wrong with his spine. His saddle was fine and he had been unrugged. Have no explanation for why it was there but the vet removed it after xray confirmed nothing attached to it to see if it was malicious.

Haven't had any issues since and it was just a bit weird. You are definitely doing the right thing and having it checked out though.

sherry90

Visit site
Update for anyone interested (maybe no one ?)

Had chiro tonight. He’s not reactive at all. Slightly tight just behind the saddle but this usual for him. The thoracic area he was fine in which is where the ‘lump’ is. It’s reduced in size and on closer inspection does appear to be a rub, really had to tell him him being clipped.

It all coincides with him being clipped and therefore rubbed. He was clipped on the Sunday and was jumped a day after and then schooled x1 on the Saturday. Lump came up after two days off. Having looked at the saddle pad, no obvious stitching but the spine of the pad is stitched over the pad if that makes sense and I could feel some unevenness underneath the pad spine so maybe that has been enough to cause a rub with him being clipped ??‍♀️

Anyway, saddle check next week just to be sure and if it hasn’t gone down by then the vets out the following week for jabs so he can take a peek ?

MissP

Visit site
My guess is your problem is the prolite. They're quite thick and they go right up the wither and I find make the saddle fit too tight there. See what the saddler says. My boy goes well with a pad that has more clearance either side of the spine, but forgot mine and borrowed a prolite and he was headshaking the whole xc session.

Only a guess!

hihosilver

Visit site
it could just be what my horse had a blocked pore. if you can buy the naf shampoo its for lumps and bumps, I used it neat after exercise and the lumps cleared in 2 weeks and never have come back!!

sherry90

Visit site
It’s almost completely gone now. There’s just slightly raised hair there now. I think it was just a simple rub - he is super sensitive! I got a Merino lined pad anyway (he’s also spoilt!) and he’s been ridden today with no issues so I’m hoping it’s all sorted ?
Lesson learnt - leave a saddle patch when clipping!