Strange back issue

sherry90

Visit site
Sorry this is long but wanted to give some context, explanation which gives a better picture.

My gelding has been in work over winter 4/5 times a week. X2 hacking and the rest a combo of schooling and poles/jumping. He’s a 6yo but green and had most of summer last year off due to me having an op and him laminitis (now both fully recovered).

His schooling, whilst green, is coming on great. He was fully clipped 29th Dec and I stupidly took the saddle patch away as I messed the pattern up -note to self next time follow the lines from the last clip. Rode as usual no problems. I rode him Saturday (4th Jan) again no issues. He had Sunday 5th and Monday 6th off and was full livery over these days so I didn’t spot anything and neither did the yard manager. He is changed from turnout to stable every day. Tuesday evening I unrugged and noticed he had a small slightly raised area over his back, probably as big as a 2p but not completely round in shape. Pressing it had no reaction and he wasn’t sore over his back at this point. I thought with it being mild it might have been a heat reaction so I dropped him from a 100g fill to a 50g fill.

Rode him on the Tuesday to see how he felt and he went well. Wednesday he had off. Thursday same again no reaction to palpating it so rode and again no issues at all, perhaps a little stiffer on the left rein but this isn’t unusual for him being his worse rein. It’s only noticeable in lateral work but with him being young he’s only just learning so some stiffness/crookedness is expected. Thursday, Friday I gave him off. Saturday morning I checked him again and it was clear he was tight and a tiny bit sore either side of the lump but moreso to the left side. When he puts his head down to the floor it disappears and if he flexes either way it goes too!

He has 6 monthly chiro, physio and saddle checks or more regularly if an issue crops up, he was last done in September so these are both booked in this week and next just to be sure. Vet is also due for jabs at the end of the month too so I will inform them the physio is coming and ask them to have a look over him as well.

Never any issues with bucking or dramatic behaviour, he’s a seeetheart. He has in the past (when first backed at 4yo) had issues with picking the correct canter but now is spot on. Saddle doesn’t tip/rock although as he lost some weight over spring/summer we are currently using a pro lite with shims. But he’s been ridden in this set up since Sept and been fine up til now.

I suppose I’m just wondering (and of course worrying!) over what it could be. It came up a week after clipping him and two days off.

Saddle fit?
Pulled himself in the field?
Clipping him over the saddle area has caused a rub or friction from the saddle pad?
Has the clip adjusted the saddle fit so much it’s made him sore?
His field mate could have bitten him there when grooming? ??‍♀️
Something going on with the vertebrae?
I have had a spine op so maybe I’m wonky and causing pressure on one seatbone? Booked myself in for physio this week too just to check!
Could he have damaged the ligament?

So many possibilities. I’m of course thinking worst case scenario and he’s completely broken ?

Has anyone else had this occur? If so, what was it for your horse?

be positive

Visit site
Is it on the spine? if so it is likely to be a slight pressure point caused by the pads as he now has no hair there and may also have changed shape a little since you started using the current set up, double check where the end of the shims are as that could be the cause, even if all seems ok a change to something else for a few days would give you more idea of what is going on but I wouldn't panic too much.

sherry90

Visit site
Is it on the spine? if so it is likely to be a slight pressure point caused by the pads as he now has no hair there and may also have changed shape a little since you started using the current set up, double check where the end of the shims are as that could be the cause, even if all seems ok a change to something else for a few days would give you more idea of what is going on but I wouldn't panic too much.

Originally it was just ever so slightly to the left of his spine but now is more central. I’d post a pic but I’m rubbish ?
It’s hard to tell if it’s a rub due to the clip and also he’s grey ? so can’t see if there are any white hairs either which usually indicated rubbing!

Thank you - I hope not. Won’t harm him to have a few days off whilst it’s all checked out anyway. I’m just very bored ?

PurBee

Visit site
On the veterinary board ‘post your pics’ top sticky thread there’s some examples in that thread of a lump forming just below withers due to saddle pad rub that turned into an abscess. I recall it was after a 25mile ride tho!

Maybe your has something like this happening due to the clip/saddlepad?
Is it a squishy lump or very firm?

sherry90

Visit site
On the veterinary board ‘post your pics’ top sticky thread there’s some examples in that thread of a lump forming just below withers due to saddle pad rub that turned into an abscess. I recall it was after a 25mile ride tho!

Maybe your has something like this happening due to the clip/saddlepad?
Is it a squishy lump or very firm?

Thank you it’s a bit further back than the wither. Probably slap bang in the thoracic area or just a bit further back.
The lump is harder than it is squishy but you can’t ‘hold it’ like a solid mass as it’s so small/flat.

It coincides with the clip so that would make sense I suppose! In the meantime I might invest in a wool lined pad just incase (obviously when he’s been signed off ok!)

sherry90

Visit site
Try using a sheepskin saddlepad. Just touching it won't (shouldn't) provoke much reaction, but with a saddle and rider on board?

He is dipping his back slightly when I put real firm pressure either side of his spine where the lump is. But if I touch and prod the lump itself he isn’t bothered ?

I am thinking of investing in a wool lined pad if he gets signed off ok to ride. Just to protect it and not irritate it further.

sherry90

Visit site
Update for anyone interested (maybe no one ?)

Had chiro tonight. He’s not reactive at all. Slightly tight just behind the saddle but this usual for him. The thoracic area he was fine in which is where the ‘lump’ is. It’s reduced in size and on closer inspection does appear to be a rub, really had to tell him him being clipped.

It all coincides with him being clipped and therefore rubbed. He was clipped on the Sunday and was jumped a day after and then schooled x1 on the Saturday. Lump came up after two days off. Having looked at the saddle pad, no obvious stitching but the spine of the pad is stitched over the pad if that makes sense and I could feel some unevenness underneath the pad spine so maybe that has been enough to cause a rub with him being clipped ??‍♀️

Anyway, saddle check next week just to be sure and if it hasn’t gone down by then the vets out the following week for jabs so he can take a peek ?

Fiona

Visit site
My connie gelding does get little collagen granulomas in his saddle area, they come and go over the course of a few weeks.

For that reason, I always leave his saddle area unclipped.

Hopefully if its a rub, then a nice sheepskin numnah will sort it out. Nuumed do quite thin ones if that helps...

Fiona

sherry90

Visit site
My connie gelding does get little collagen granulomas in his saddle area, they come and go over the course of a few weeks.

For that reason, I always leave his saddle area unclipped.

Hopefully if its a rub, then a nice sheepskin numnah will sort it out. Nuumed do quite thin ones if that helps...

Fiona

Thank you - I’ll definitely be leaving a patch when he’s next clipped. I’ve ordered a Le Mieux merino pad to try which will hopefully arrive before saddle fit next week.