Strange behaviour from new horse

Visit site
In most racing yards horses are only dealt with in their stables to either be tacked up or groomed down. A lot of yards tie them up for everything they do - muck out, tack up, groom etc. So he may not be used to you doing things loose. They would also anticipate being ridden when people are around if they haven't already been out thay day. His stable is also his place. His sanctuary away from the world. Give him time to adapt. You've not had him long. Treat him for ulcers, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

shanti

Visit site
I would definitely, treat for ulcers, horses can have different varying indicators and symptoms, they dont need to have them all. I have an ex-pacer who is 'grumpy'. Unless he has a halter/tack on he just doesn't want to be faffed about with, and will absolutely tell you to get lost, especially if he is eating. It has taken me a while to begin to understand him, but I think he looks at it like that's his time, not mine, so I leave him alone unless he chooses to interact and when I am doing daily checks I always halter him, so he knows he has to give me some of his time. No idea if this is due to his racing background or its just his personality.

I have had him for almost 12 months now and we are still nowhere near a full partnership yet or at the point of fully trusting each other, it can be a long process.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Treating for ulcers wouldn't hurt. I have a wb ( and a tb) but the wb is really grumpy in the stable. I've had him 18 years and he's always been the same. Bring him out the stable and he's a different horse!! I just ignore him as I need to get on with jobs. My tb on the other hand is good as gold in the stable. They are all different!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Did you buy direct from the racing yard or via a dealer ?
Do you know or can you find out his exact diet & daily routine?
Did you view him in his own stable or did they bring him out for the viewing?
Maybe he is used to the stable being his territory & having everything that needs "done to him" elsewhere? After only 3 races he wont have got used to being stabled in other places. He is bound to be hugely stressed.
Did he always have the same groom?
Make everything the same as he is used to as far as possible. Talk to his groom if you can & get all the little details. If he has only ever been 'done' by one human, it could reduce his stress a lot to have the same thing said as you halter him, food put down in the same corner etc.

(Regards ulcers - one survey in USA found 90% of race horses in training had ulcers, so always presume they are there unless proved otherwise!)

Fransurrey

Visit site
I have very little experience of racing TBs, but just bear in mind that in a stable there's an extra element of stress for any horse, as there's no escape route for them. That may well explain why he's better outside - more room, more distractions and so on. In any case, 6 days is a nanosecond to a horse that's changed home and routine, so hopefully he'll settle naturally. I always rate using haylage balancer for horses with stress-related gut issues (regardless of whether they are fed haylage!). It's not marketed for that, of course, but when ridden my mare really benefited from it (she doesn't need it now retired!).

Squeak

Visit site
In most racing yards horses are only dealt with in their stables to either be tacked up or groomed down. A lot of yards tie them up for everything they do - muck out, tack up, groom etc. So he may not be used to you doing things loose. They would also anticipate being ridden when people are around if they haven't already been out thay day. His stable is also his place. His sanctuary away from the world. Give him time to adapt. You've not had him long. Treat him for ulcers, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

This was absolutely my thoughts too, although I'm not nearly as experienced with racers as Elf.

I think it's something like 90% of racehorses have ulcers when they come out of training so even if it's not what's making him grumpy, it's a good idea to try treating him. Unless you go down the vet route I do find it's a bit hit and miss what works for them. Aloe Vera unfortunately didn't work for mine but Ron Fields did and although my horse looked amazing on the oily herbs he was starting to get uncomfortable again, so it is worth playing around and seeing what works for yours - having said that they didn't work for mine, Aloe and herbs are a cheap place to start and do work for a lot of horses. Feeding and treating the horse as if it has ulcers will also do no harm - so low sugar and starch feed, adlib hay/ haylage where possible, maximum turnout time etc.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Ulcers are a high possibility for an OTTB. Aloe Vera juice is amazing. My husband's standardbred was showing strange behaviour recently and we suspected ulcers. I was reluctant to scope unless absolutely necessary because it is certainly not a nice procedure. We got him on some aloe juice and seen a difference almost immediately. Within a week he was his normal self. We have now kept him on aloe juice permanently and made some changes to his diet.

I don't see what you have to lose by trying it. If it makes no difference then you can at least rule it out. Also not all horses show "typical ulcer symptoms" our boy started kicking his stable when eating hard feed and just generally being grumpy with other horses. He was perfect to handle, ride, and tack up.

Kat

Visit site
Is he in the same type of stable as before? A significant number don't like being overlooked, especially not when eating. If you have a stable with bars rather than full partitions covering the bars might help.

Mine is only happy with full partitions.

Many at our place like a screen near their hay even if they are happy with the rest being open.