Strange behaviour with back leg

exracehorse

Visit site
No previous lameness issues. Hacked every day. Was very good at his jump clinic three weeks ago. So, over past three evenings, after being tied up to be groomed etc, he’s stamped and lifted his rear leg up high (3 or 4 times) while being taken to the mounting block. Absolutely fine once mounted and walked away. I’m worried it’s stifle issue. I was poo picking for an hour tonight and he showed no signs while grazing etc. But done it again this evening after being tacked up. So, something is wrong. I’m worried as I already have a field ornament due to ligament issues and lost my TB 4 years ago. I can’t go through another mechanical problem. If it’s locking stifle, would it come on so quickly I.e over three days?

exracehorse

Visit site
It sounds to me as if he has got some kind of itch, or an insect is annoying him, while he is tied up.
Gut feeling is no. It’s a dramatic lift up and stamp down. Three evenings in a row. After standing. Forgot to say, he’s also begun to show reluctance to go down hill.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's nothing like locking stifle.

I've seen horses do something similar with colic, but with the reluctance to go downhill you need to be involvng a vet. That's often the first sign of hock issues.

stormox

Visit site
Mites or flies? My mare recently started doing this, quite violent, when riding too but i could urge her on and she rode through it. I bathed her legs 3 day running with hibisrub and put a pour-on on her and she hasnt done it since.

exracehorse

Visit site
Definitely hock. Hoof picked him this morning. Made a popping sound and he snatched his leg away. It’s his rear right

stormox

Visit site
A popping sound doesnt always mean much - there can be an innocent reason. Has he ever snatched a leg away before whilst having his feet picked up?

exracehorse

Visit site
Don’t want to worry you but Potentially shivers I would call a vet to put your mind at risk. Hopefully just an itch .
It was almost as if something was catching over the hock. I asked a livery to walk him so I could watch. No toe dragging. No abnormal gait. Afterwards, when I lifted his back leg up he done it normally and no popping sound. So definitely something inside over the hock. It’s bank holiday Monday but I’ll get vet out ASAP.