Strange behaviour

slimjim86

Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice on a friend's dog. Lovely 7 year old labrador, she's the happiest easiest dog you could meet, typical lab with a constantly wagging tale that just loves life. A few weeks ago we were walking her and all was fine, she was bumbling along as she does, bit of jogging, bits of walking, lots of sniffing and then she just stopped and crouched down. I thought she had maybe got a thorn in a pad and was sore, I called her over to me and she wouldn't come, just cowered and looked scared, went over to her and ran my hands over her back and down her legs and she didn't react to anything but was trembling. I then said let's go home and stood up and walked down the path and she bounced off ahead of me. Then today I went to get her and instead of meeting me bouncing at the door she was cowering again and crept over to me like she was really scared, she then rolled on her belly at my feet but not in her usual wriggling with excitement way but more in a submissive way. Gave her lots of fuss and she crawled onto my lap and really snuggled up to me and was trembling. This lasted about 3 minutes then she just jumped up and started bouncing in her normal pre walk way and was fine on her walk. Anyone any ideas? I'm thinking maybe neurological and we have just missed a very quick / small fit like episode and are seeing the disorientation after it??

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I assume pregnancy walk way is a typo?
I’d get pain ruled out first, it might be she is getting intermittent stabs from something.

Clodagh

Visit site
I’m no vet so I don’t know. I have a dog with intermittent pain though, I videoed an episode for the vet.
We never did find what caused it but ruled out what wasn’t and now we manage it with acupuncture and painkillers when needed.
Vet thinks mine is a neck injury that causes a bad twinge sometimes. Tawny (a Labrador) has hurt her neck quite badly twice in her life and this seems to be the hangover from it.

slimjim86

Visit site
Owner is quite worried so has booked her into the vet but I've only seen it twice now, just checked what's app and previous episode was 9th January and then today's so unlikely to be able to video it, likewise a trial of painkillers probably won't show anything as it doesn't happen often ( or often when anyone is with her to see it), I've suggested a camera to watch her at home in case it is more regular.

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I would have a thorough vet check first. A pain trial may show up something, in that if these episodes don't happen at all during the trial, then you have the start of an answer. It sounds like pain somewhere.

slimjim86

Visit site
Bit of an update, vet can't find anything wrong but has suggested you move in case she's starting to get a bit of arthritis. We actually think the 2 initial incidents may be unrelated as she was a bit "off" again last week when I went in but instead of cuddling her and fussing I brightly called "go for a walk?" and she bounced straight over to me really happy but the kitchen has new flooring and slid about a bit so we think the indoor issues are a bit scared of the slippy floor and the outdoor one was a one off prick or sting from something in the grass. Anyway they are getting mats for the kitchen floor so she can get everywhere without stepping on the wood floor and she's on a joint supplement so we'll see if it happens again.