strange espisodes in pony what could it be?

SO1

Visit site
At the beginning of Feb my pony had what I could only describe as a funny turn. I had hacked him out he was bright and full of energy came back and his breathing went very elevated and then he started pawing the ground and rolling around in his stable at one point he was flat on his side looking very distressed. Presumed it was colic so called vet by the time the vet arrived about 40 minutes later pony completely back to normal, vet could not see any signs of colic however she did detect premature heart beats. Temperature was 37C

As pony has a history of strange breathing issues presumed to be RAO though has not had a problem for several years she suggested putting him back on to 1 scoop of ventipulmin before riding and that as his symptoms were so weird it might be worth him coming to the vet college for tests on his heart as heart problems can cause breathing problems. Pony lives out and does not have hay as we have enough grazing on the yard to not need to feed hay unless we have heavy snow. Previous breathing issues have not been so extreme and have not had a particular pattern but thought at one point he might have had a virus due to temperature at the same time and off food. Have been totally manageable with ventipulmin though he was not on it at the time of the recent attack.

He spent 2 days at vet college with 24 hour ECG and exercise test and neither showed up any heart problems and the premature heartbeat was not present. He also had a scan of his heart which again looked normal. The only thing that that came up in the exercise was that he did puffed out and take longer than expected to return to normal. So they expected that his attack was caused by a flare up of his RAO though his breathing sounded clear, no snot and fine at rest and he is not exposed to dust or pollen as he lives out and no hay.

So vet suggested ventipulmin an hour before riding so I have ridden him about 4 times since he came back from the vet college and he has been ok up till today when he had another attack after I rode him in the school.

I had the day off so rode him in school, he had his ventipulmin an hour before so was expecting everything to be ok. He was not wanting to canter and then he got a bit puffed out so I walked him off for 10 minutes untacked him, {probably rode for about 40 minutes mostly in walk with a bit of trot and tiny bit of canter} and his breathing went even faster and he started lying down and looking unhappy he then got up again and came over and managed to barge out of the stable breathe still very bad so took him to a grassy area to see if he wanted a wee as he had not weed and he normally always wees when he goes in the school though he had pooed twice & he didn't wee. Within 50 minutes he was completely back to normal as if nothing had happened. His temperature was normal and so were his gut sounds.

Called the vet and there was no point in them rushing over as he seemed normal again. He has already had tests on his heart at the vet college since his last episode at beginning of Feb so don't think it is his heart. I had a quite a long chat with the vet at the vet college who examined his heart and she thinks what is happening is very strange and not like standard RAO as he goes from being very uncomfortable to back to normal fairly quickly and this time he had ventipulmin beforehand his breathing should not have been so bad.

Vet said 90% of breathing issues caused by RAO/allergy but she is not convinced his original diagnosis of RAO is correct as his symptoms are so strange. It does not appear to be his heart so not sure where to go from here. Vet coming back out in two weeks time to do endoscopy and other tests. In the meantime I should continue to ride him just giving the ventipulmin beforehand as the vets needs more information on the circumstances on the days he does have an attack eg what we did, the weather, was he alert was there anything different in his routine. I am reluctant to do anything that might bring on an attack as it is so distressing for him so I will probably just try and take it very easy with him until the vets have done the endoscope.

Anyone heard of anything similar?

Silverfire

Visit site
What breed is he? Could he be tying up? It can look like colic and it can come and go quickly, only way to know for certain would be to test muscle enzymes after an episode. Google HYPP (HYPP only affects Quarter horses with Impressive in their breeding) and PSSM/EPSM (can affect any breed). The fast breathing could be due to pain rather than his RAO.

fuzzle

Visit site
Many things can cause colic including pain!! my horses breathing went very heavy and you could see her really puffing and had mild colic syptoms she ended up in my vets had her gastroscoped after lot of other tests and she had glandular gastric ulcers maybe worth a gastroscope to eliminate that problem xxx

SO1

Visit site
He is a New Forest and he lives out.

What breed is he? Could he be tying up? It can look like colic and it can come and go quickly, only way to know for certain would be to test muscle enzymes after an episode. Google HYPP (HYPP only affects Quarter horses with Impressive in their breeding) and PSSM/EPSM (can affect any breed). The fast breathing could be due to pain rather than his RAO.

Nitro mouse

Visit site
Hiya I have had something similar with mine....
I have a 22 year old Dales gelding, his symptoms, he looks like he has just run the grand national , hyperventilating, sweaty, restless, wild eyed. First attack immediate thought was colic. Emergency vet called, by the time he arrived J was fine. I felt like a fraud! In the past three years he has had about five of these attacks. Vet said thought it was most likely an allergy, and to keep a diary. As these attacks seemed very random and although I called a vet as soon as I saw the symptoms. By the time the vet arrived J looked fit as a flea. The last one I genuinely thought he was dying as he just lay down in the stable panting for breath. This time the vet arrived in time to witness the end of the attack, he was starting to improve but at least he was able to give J a thorough examination. Heart rate was elevated, breathing very rapid. Temp was normal, definitely not colic. Vet convinced its an allergy. But of course no clue to what the trigger might be. Although there had been crop spraying going on the day of his last attack, so that might be a possibility as he is on livery so I can't always see what is going on in the surrounding land. He is stabled at night during the winter, and for about four hours during the day in the summer ( yard rules) but we have as dust free an environment as possible. hay soaked etc ( although vet told me to feed soaked hay from a net not on the floor)
We had a week of ventopulmiin, and now I have an inhaler for him. So if he does have another attack I can ease the symptoms immediately. Good luck with your neddy. Xxx I have yet to use the inhaler, but it's nice to know I have a back up should he have another attack.

Last edited:

SO1

Visit site
Nitro mouse - that sounds exactly the same as what happens with my pony as well. Vet is coming back on Tuesday to do bloods and scope and I am trying to think to see if there is some sort of pattern but can't think of anything.

Hiya I have had something similar with mine....
I have a 22 year old Dales gelding, his symptoms, he looks like he has just run the grand national , hyperventilating, sweaty, restless, wild eyed. First attack immediate thought was colic. Emergency vet called, by the time he arrived J was fine. I felt like a fraud! In the past three years he has had about five of these attacks. Vet said thought it was most likely an allergy, and to keep a diary. As these attacks seemed very random and although I called a vet as soon as I saw the symptoms. By the time the vet arrived J looked fit as a flea. The last one I genuinely thought he was dying as he just lay down in the stable panting for breath. This time the vet arrived in time to witness the end of the attack, he was starting to improve but at least he was able to give J a thorough examination. Heart rate was elevated, breathing very rapid. Temp was normal, definitely not colic. Vet convinced its an allergy. But of course no clue to what the trigger might be. Although there had been crop spraying going on the day of his last attack, so that might be a possibility as he is on livery so I can't always see what is going on in the surrounding land. He is stabled at night during the winter, and for about four hours during the day in the summer ( yard rules) but we have as dust free an environment as possible. hay soaked etc ( although vet told me to feed soaked hay from a net not on the floor)
We had a week of ventopulmiin, and now I have an inhaler for him. So if he does have another attack I can ease the symptoms immediately. Good luck with your neddy. Xxx I have yet to use the inhaler, but it's nice to know I have a back up should he have another attack.

Nitro mouse

Visit site
Hiya I hope you manage to find some answers on Tuesday, I would be very interested to hear what your vet says. My vet did suggest that I video on my phone when J has his next attack. As half of the problem is that a vet has yet to see him at his worst. The last time we were lucky because he was still unwell by the time the emergency vet came out. Although a lot better than when I first called. With J it seems so very random and the attacks are few in number. Although I don't rule out that he may have them more often, but I am just not around to witness it.
I am not sure if your boy is the same but you can see immediately when recovery starts to set in as something kinda changes and suddenly he goes oh better now and either gets up. Or if he is standing ( when he has an attack his head is hanging) suddenly the head comes up and he goes ah time to eat!
Bloods came back fine, and when vet saw him the last time she said the irritation seemed to be very much in his upper airways. His lungs were clear and his temp normal.
Lol I am trying to think of everything I can to see if it offers you any help or comparison. The attacks have come on both in the field and in the stable.....
Good luck and let me know how you get on.

putasocinit

Visit site
How long after he has eaten are you riding him, and are allowing him time to warm up first and cool down after, could be tie up and could also be choke, yes choke, horse stabled by mine used to do this same thing and one day they called the vet and the vet said it was spasmodic choke, so ask your vet about that as well.

shergar

Visit site
SO1 ask your vet about ANAEMIA which can cause shortness of breath and fatigue it is always secondary to some other problem such as worms /ulcers ect .

SO1

Visit site
I am waiting an hour after he has had his feed before riding him, though as he has lost so much weight I have also started giving him some soaked hay. I always walk him for at least the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes.

I will ask about amaemia too when the vet does his blood test. He has had two of the "episodes" now, he is coping with gentle hacking in walk with a tiny bit of trot, although he has energy he is getting puffed out easily so I think he is getting worse.

He is on the intelligent worming program so would hope he does not have a worm burden but one of his field mates has had a high worm count so he despite having clear worm counts and being wormed he could have got infected recently. Another pony on the yard did have anaemia but has not been in the same field as my pony.

shergar

Visit site
Was he wormed for tape worms as they will not show in a egg worm count?
I read on website a vet had five clients who lost horses due to worms,they had all relied on egg counts ,so even that vet had concerns over them.

SO1

Visit site
He is on the intelligent worming program and that includes 2 x tape wormers a year, he was wormed 4 times last year, last wormer was equest end of December and due to have equimax 17th March.