Strange Explosions, Tidy Geoff, and BOOT CAMP

khalswitz

Visit site
WELL.

I know this is hot on the heels of our last report, but there has been lots of goings-on at Determined Equestrian!

Firstly, right after my last update, plans changed. We decided to move Geoff sooner than later, so he was planned to move on Friday to his new home at the event yard. Because of this, my lesson at my regular instructor's clinic had to be cancelled :( but this was probably a very good thing after what happened next.

Knowing it was our last night at the old yard, when we got a text from our RC Chairman (we're on the committee) asking if we could fill a space at training, we were well up for it. It was an instructor I'd heard good things about, but had never had before. Off we tootled, in purple Harry's Horse overreaches and pad, with lovely Eskadron bandages, and a smart silver-grey Horseware gilet on me, feeling very smart.

First bad thing: we arrived to hear who we were sharing our lesson with. Now, it's a bit of a complicated one - I used to work with her, and we both had very different views on things as well as being totally different types of people, so we did clash a bit, although we are kind of friends now. We also both changed horse at the same time due to different scenarios, and got our current horses within a month of each other. Ever since, we have progressed at sort of the same time, and competed at sort of the same level, and whilst we've seen each other at comps, we've never directly competed against each other (thankfully). However, it is a bit 'anything you can do'… She wanted to do WH, we wanted to event. Next thing, she wanted to event, but Geoff was struggling with SJ, so we became dressage divas. Then, she decided to be a dressage diva, now with a DR saddle and talking about joining BD, and we're trying to become eveners again… and because her horse is 5 years younger, never raced, and has no genetic muscle problems, of course I'm well aware we'd be well beaten by her (admittedly) lovely horse if we did end up up against each other. So, I was feeling that we would have to put on a good performance at training, just not to feel whitewashed!

Got warmed up, but Geoff was being a little funny - just wouldn't stand still. Normally, getting him to move is more of an issue, but not today. Then, he started sweating up. He's not a sweaty horse, but he's not clipped yet, and it was indoors, so maybe he was feeling it… but he started to lather up. Next, he started stamping his front feet with every stride, and leaning his head down as if he were trying to itch his face.

"It looks like he's thinking about rolling" said the instructor, "Must be feeling itchy with that sweat. Get him up to a trot and get his mind off it."

Off we trotted - for about six strides, before Geoff EXPLODED. I mean, I'm not sure he's ever bucked that big without me coming off before (and not sure how I didn't!) and there was three huge ones plus twisting in a row, with me left no stirrups and no reins. Somehow I stayed on, and he turned in and started stamping again.

Something was NOT RIGHT. I jumped off, loosened his girth and started walking him around. He didn't seem colicky, he didn't look like he was tying up, the saddle had just been fitted the previous week, his bandages weren't too tight or too loose...

Then, suddenly he started to dry up. I did up his girth, got on, fine. Walked around - nothing. Picked him up into trot - absolutely normal. Then schooled him fine the rest of the session.

Thankfully he was ok, but did think it typical he had to do that in front of HER. Has also been fine since - only thing I can think is that I used a different girth, and it was quite a thin one, so I wonder if it was catching… but he hacked up there fine in it. Very weird.

Next day, Geoff moved house. He arrived, having travelled superbly (even having never travelled rear facing before!), and was pretty much straight away tacked up for a hack - with two other horses, when he hasn't hacked in company for a year!! But he was very chilled, hacking along happily at the back!

The dentist also happened to be on the yard at the time, so he came home and had his teeth done! What a day for the boy… but he was fab :). Next morning he finally had something done about the gypsy horse 'do he's been sporting as I've been too busy for the battle of pulling it whilst he's been off - and despite him normally really going for me when I pull his mane, he stood like a lamb. Being unsure obviously makes Geoff behave himself, and now he looks very smart with his short bang tail and pulled mane (just need to justify clipping him!)

Was a little off his feed for a day or two, but otherwise was super settled and relaxed. He does keep nickering to me whenever I go past though, which is a terrible distraction when I'm working, but otherwise it is so lovely to have him there, so he is done during the day!

We've also begun boot camp. My boss has been picking up on the things I need to work on already when riding out the other horses, but having seen Geoff we now have a battle plan. He majorly struggled the first day we took him up one of the proper hills, due to lack of back end, so that's a priority for him. For me, stretching my heels down and softening my knees, and not bringing my heels up when I use my leg, and keeping my hands stiller. And with her pulling me up on one or the other every time she looks at me, I think I have a lot to work on! Feels like information overload right now, but know how satisfying it will be when it is better.

I also need to invest in a set of everyday gloves, having been told my habit of riding without gloves needs to be changed. My old instructor told me this too, but I didn't really bother… looks like now it will!

We also ended up having a bit of a jumping lesson today too. We ended up doing grids, and I've had a few revelations. Firstly, all those times I've blogged about Geoff being too fast and strong when jumping? Turns out THAT is the canter I'm actually aiming for. I've also learned I can't actually judge my strides for toffee (no wonder Geoff keeps taking flyers or chipping strides!), that my horse is incredibly generous if behind the leg (even when I properly landed him on a half stride into a five fence bounce he still scrambled over everything, and he tried so hard to go clear every time too with his nice sharp feet!) and that my hands and legs as mentioned earlier hinder everything else.

So we are being worked HARD as well as having a great time, in case any of you think I've just been riding ponies all day ;).

No real plans for Geoff ATM - I'm looking forward to a winter of hillwork for him, and position work for me. If we were getting high 60's at BD in prelim and novice before boot camp, I'm dying to see where we'll be in the spring. But I'll keep you all up to date with our progress and training, in case anyone is interested!

khalswitz

Visit site
He just wanted to give you a chance to show how great your seat is :)

Haha, it's really not that great… I think I was too surprised to do anything else! He definitely was NOT happy though...

it'll be worth it. ;)
Sounds very positive already. I'm looking forwards to reading about your progress even more now. :)

:D :D :D This is going to be SOOO good for us. Although I'm sure my boss is sick of me being so rubbish already!!!

But I did beam with pride when she said Geoff was 'actually quite good with his feet'...

Nannon

Visit site
I have a friend like that - we will never beat their amazing horse (but I've put all the work into mine and theirs was ready made!)
Love Geoff updates, can't wait to see how he improves over the winter!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I wish they could speak but funny how some horses can deal with a lot and others lose it if they colour isn't correct!

If you didn't fall off you're seat is pretty decent, I normally stick to the bucks then fall off as soon as they stop!

Great post, keep on updating

khalswitz

Visit site
I have a friend like that - we will never beat their amazing horse (but I've put all the work into mine and theirs was ready made!)
Love Geoff updates, can't wait to see how he improves over the winter!

Yeah, and you are glad for them, but also sort of wish you could beat them just to prove you could… I try to take a perverse pride in my horse being way more difficult than hers, but it's just not the same… ;)

Chuffed to hear it. Will have to remember to do before and after pics!!!

I wish they could speak but funny how some horses can deal with a lot and others lose it if they colour isn't correct!

If you didn't fall off you're seat is pretty decent, I normally stick to the bucks then fall off as soon as they stop!

Great post, keep on updating

Tell me about it!! And when he has a strop, you know about it… And 70% of the time I never even know why!

It must be getting better without me noticing… but I seem to get plenty practice so maybe thats why ;)

Don't worry, I will!!!

blood_magik

Visit site
:D :D :D This is going to be SOOO good for us. Although I'm sure my boss is sick of me being so rubbish already!!!
But I did beam with pride when she said Geoff was 'actually quite good with his feet'...

eeeekkk! how exciting :biggrin3:
I think you're being unecessarily harsh on yourself - look how far you've come already. your boss sounds lovely - I doubt she'd have hired you if she thought you were rubbish. :wink3:
Can't wait to hear more about Mr. Geoff's adventures and boot camp. :smile3:

kinnygirl1

Visit site
There's nothing like A random explosion to keep you on your toes, eh? Maybe he just wanted to make sure you were paying attention! All sounds like it's going really well though...looking forward to more updates.