Strange lameness when going downhill your thoughts please

Daisy2

Visit site
Marley has had this lameness since spring, seemed to get better in the summer somewhat. When he walks downhill to get to the bottom of the field he steps with a really really short stride on the near hind and a defnite hitch up in his hip on the same side, I feel sad for him as he is defo in pain as he stops half way down for a rest.. Once at the bottom he strides out almost normal and tracks up pretty good. 2 vets have seen him and on both occasions (once in the clinic and once in the field)he did not present the lameness so nothing to diagnose, they both did flexion tests, nerve blocks but nothing.
I have done my own bute trial and he comes sound downhill on 2 bute a day (5 bute duration days) and unsound again when the bute is stopped Do you have any thoughts does this sound like hock/stifle/arthritis.
I want to invite a body worker over to give him some therapy but not sure who to call Chiro? Physio? I have noticed that his gluts on the same side have a hard patch not sure if this is significant, I have massaged him all over and palpated etc and no reaction.

I would be so interested to hear your thoughts.. oh and just started him on various supplements fingers crossed.

He's mid teens, heavy built but not overweight and is not a mover and shaker so I guess he is standing around a lot when not grazing.
Long story but he has not been ridden for 3mths and I fear this has made him worse.

Cookies..more mince pies and roast chestnuts to you..Merry Xmas

vanrim

Visit site
Could be arthritis. I had a horse years ago that used to go lame for one stride on firm ground but was always sound when trotted up for my vet. In the end another vet practice took him in for a week and he was eventually diagnosed with arthritis of both front fetlocks and one hind stifle. The stifle was a shock as I had never felt anything but the week he was at the vets he must have seized up a bit so the arthritis was more apparent. With arthritis keeping them in work definitely helps.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My horse is a bit arthritic in his hocks and he struggles a bit going down hill also. I was going to suggest navicular type problems but yours is more hind soreness so I don't know if that's relevant?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmmm........ it looks like there may be something going on if he's doing this in the field as well as under saddle. I had a horse that was very tender going downhill in ridden work, and it turned out the saddle was a dreadful fit :(

I'd be inclined to ask a chiropractor/physio sort of person to have a look and see what they say TBH. It could be all sorts of things and you're quite rightly trying to eliminate some things in order to try and find out what's happening.

Hope you get to the bottom of it...........

pottamus

Visit site
My lad started doing this some years ago and then started slightly rushing down steep hills and was then fine on the flat...he had early stages arthritis. He also comes sound on 2 bute a day but that is not an ideal solution long term, so I wean him back when not doing much work and increase when he gets bad.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It is a job for an equine vet .
And it would be best not to get a physio or back person to the horse beforehand because if they relieve minor soft tissue pain associated with the issue it could make it harder for the vet diagnose.
As others have said it could be fore feet pain it could be hock issues it could be kissing spines ( one of my homebreds KS first presented as reluctance to walk down hill ) it could so many things that why you need a vet.

Peanot

Visit site
Firstly if he were mine, I would get a good chiro/massager person (with good reputation) out as he could have issues with his pelvis and back esp as you mention he hitches up his hip? This would also cause pain thru his back, and unlevelness. Also it could be that his 'hard' gluts are in connection with the issue. My first call with many 'off' gaits would be chiro n usually it sorts it. If it's something more untoward, then obv it's a vet job but usually the vets say 'box rest n stretches' which ime hasn't worked at all then chiro has sorted it. (Had this last year) hope he gets sorted x

old hand

Visit site
Could you get the vet to watch him in the field or trot him down the hill in hand for him. Mine does that to check in a lameness work up anyway as they are often worse either up or downhill and it helps him isolate the problem.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Is he shod? Have a look at his feet first. How are the heels? If they are contracted, I would start there as it is the easiest to sort and one that would solve the most problems higher up the limb.