Strange lump at the back of the pastern .....

Peta-Jane

New User
Visit site
My little horse developed a strange lump at the back of her pastern, between her ergot and her heel bulbs as shown in the photo below. It first appeared last summer. It has never made her lame, and she has had her legs ultra sound scanned by my vet, who also ruled out any damage to her tendon sheath.The puzzling thing is whilst the lump appears overnight, although it no longer puffs up her fetlock or the any other sections of this pastern, it does disappear when she is exercised or turned out. It has puzzled every vet and farrier I have questioned about it and I just wondered if anyone out there has had anything similar happen to their horse. It is a tiny hard lump, feels almost like a ridge as if someone has inserted a very small rubber under the skin. Sprite's lump.jpg

Peta-Jane

New User
Visit site
Thank you very much theduchess! It is going down now but still such a puzzle! Not too sure about how H&H forums work yet ...! Anyway the little girl is clipped out now so it will back into training for her - we do low level endurance riding - and it will be interesting to if being back in work affects it - or hopefully not! Thank you again for giving my post a bump! I enjoy reading other peoples'!