Strange names?

Bex_X

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has met horses with some strange names?
My boy is called Math .. never met a horse called math yet haha
my other horse jack has a normal name :p
once new a little shetland called pondweed.. or pond for short as he would escape and was always found in the little pond in the owners garden haha

Pasture Mix

Visit site
I've known a few:
Pi
Magnum
Duo
Chocolate
Nosey
Wurzel
Rembrandt
Drummer
River
Troy
Cameo
Sovereign
Strawberry
Tonto
Kiara
Fortune

Not all necessarily weird, but not as common as others I've known like Rosie, Bess, Misty, Jemma, Bobby, Billy, etc.
Personally, I love unusual horse names - it's not like the other horses will pick on them for it like kids would at school! :D

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
knew a horse called Uzi, never heard that before or since.

Another that amused me was a mare called Mardi, and she really was a mardy mare!

Enfys

Visit site
I had one called Useless.

Also known a Frog, a white mare called Coal, and a black named Snowdrop. One of my favourites was registered as 'The Black with Four Whites. '

Enfys

Visit site
There are some very clever, funny and downright risque racehorse names too.

tonitot

Visit site
My girl is called Ethel :) everyone comments on how it's a strange/proper (depends on the person commenting!) for a horse! There was a horse at my old yard called Stripes, he was an appaloosa :D and at my current yard there was the nicest, most gentle, huge chestnut racehorse, can't remember his race name but his stable name was Muppet!

dollymix

Visit site
I've commented on one of these threads before, but I went on a riding holiday as a teenager and they had a grey arab called PEABRAIN!!!!!

Dizzy socks

Visit site
Friend has horse called P*ik*y, short for The Pike :p She had no clue what it mean't!

Also new pony named Chubby, and Princess Fiona, for resemblance to the Shrek character!

ZondaR

Visit site
I knew of two ponies called Mary and John. There was also a Pancake because he was born on Pancake Tuesday. And Stretch, because he liked to stretch his front legs, like a dog.

shergar

Visit site
PASTURE MIX , Was the horse you knew with the name Nosey a bay Thoroughbred ,my friend from many years ago had him ,and as you have said it is an unusual name for a horse.

Lego

Visit site
When I was viewing, I tried a horse called Clive!

And a black cob called Saffron... Cute little cob called Applejack - suited him :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My boy is called Chife- i call him Chief although he doesn't respond so maybe Im saying it wrong!
My pony is delboy and my old boy was saxon- i really wanted him to be rodney!

BSJAlove

Visit site
Dubhshee (dubh for short or dubhshit when she was a cow) and sporty (sports) is my current horse

I know a duie, nemo, hobo (lol)

suffolkmare

Visit site
Well we have a David, his fieldmate is Rudie, :p
I've come across a Robin, MG (for Misery Guts - only the bravest or a fool entered his stable), Schubert, Tebo/Thibeaut (?), Sly, Conrad, Flight, Blanco, Bonus & Bosun in various places over the years. My wish-I'd-owned-him horse was a chestnut morab called Glory. I've also known a few Alfie's, Candy's (always trouble!), Chester/Jester, Beautys, to balance the less common names.
Oh, forgot the new livery at our yard, Tank...

Last edited:

Pinky94

Visit site
On the stud I work at we have a Brian, Dillon, dougle, Mavis, Betty and a 2013 colt called hamish. Poor ponies :p