Strange names?

RainbowDash

Visit site
My pony has an unusual name - I have googled, binged and used all search engines for an answer but at a loss as to where it came from. I thought it may be a surname but no it looks completely made up. Thats why I call him 'boyo' on here - if I gave his name I'd be rumbled XD.

The wife

Visit site
I've owned a Scribble and a Spume and have a Raldo arriving soon. Poor Spume got called all sorts at shows from spew, Spum and spumay. The Stressage diva is GT, stands for Ginger T***** and even the back lady and dentist know him as this.

Some of the lovely but different names I've known are...

Zanzibar
Cash
Huggy
Skip
Simon
Cailin
Ivor
Roo
Raldo
Glitterbug
Triana
Edita
Speedy
Patrick
Twix
Sheikhy
Amos
And a Steve!

zippo

Visit site
Andrew[and it so suits him]
PixieThePony
Macaroni
Steelo[he was the colour of steel wool,when he was born and never went grey]
Richard Cranium aka ********,a good NZ racehorse,even though the race callers sometimes had trouble with his name
Zippo[Fantastic Light/Strike Fire]
Pin[Safely Kept/Cipher]
And my alltime favorite FAR CALL!!,just say it quickly,that one slipped past the Registrar of Racehorses and raced.

Pasture Mix

Visit site
shergar!
No, it wasn't! It was a grey Connemara :p Quite the opposite! Yeah, it was his "stable name" version of his registered name, which was Nostrama - don't know where that came from though!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
ones i'e known with human names have been...

Stan
Kevin
Simon
Kenny
Nick
Arnie
Bert

and those were only the geldings!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Some 'human' ones and odd ones I've come across are

Sammy
Bruce
Albert
Foley
Ricky
Connor
Sugarpuff
Guinness

flosskins, I also knew a little shetland called Puddle!

TPO

Visit site
When I was wee I had a Shetland named Flag.

I nearly bought a TB named Frank but he failed the vetting.

I bought a TB mare who didn't really have a name but was referred to as Squeals. I renamed her Tanith.

Had an Arab mare named Siham; led to believe that it's Arabic for arrow? Changed her name to Shiraz.

My current TB boy came with the name Doobie. Named that because he's so laid back and chilled out it's like he's been smoking a doobie :/ I couldn't think of anything that suited him better and his registered name is the uninspiring "Domesday" so Doobie stuck!

Everything else has had normal horse names.

Archangel

Visit site
I found out my horsey neighbours called one of mine Spud :eek: (it suited him actually!) and another neighbour called my lovely Arab - Ringo :eek: spookily this was his sire's stable name:)

Tangled

Visit site
Well we have a David, his fieldmate is Rudie, :p
I've come across a Robin, MG (for Misery Guts - only the bravest or a fool entered his stable), Schubert, Tebo/Thibeaut (?), Sly, Conrad, Flight, Blanco, Bonus & Bosun in various places over the years. My wish-I'd-owned-him horse was a chestnut morab called Glory. I've also known a few Alfie's, Candy's (always trouble!), Chester/Jester, Beautys, to balance the less common names.
Oh, forgot the new livery at our yard, Tank...

I'm one of those weirdo owners who says good morning/good evening to my horse - can you imagine that with the morab - Morning Glory!!! :D:eek:

On a similar theme knew a ex racehorse called Red Willie...:eek:

Other strange names:

Walter
Kes (short for Kestral) which just reminds me of Bo Selecta!
Disney
Windy
Biggles
Hippo
Tadpole (His sire was called Frog)
Revival
Compy
Nevada
And a driving pair of Gelderlanders called Hugo and Boss :D

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I loaned a pony called Noddy once ! Although the nicknames/ confusing 'baby' names they get are far worse..

Jess- 'Smess Nose'
Noddy-'Podkin'
Summer - 'Wums'
Finnegan- 'Finn-Face'

just ?! :eek: How do these horrid names form!? :eek: I use them far too casually now and people look at me very confused.. especially if I slip up when entering shows.. :eek:

Oh and at a show about 10 years ago there was a pony called MinkyMooMoo...

Gypley

Visit site
Strangest name I've heard is Shambles (everything surrounding the birth of the foal was a complete disaster hence the name!)

Although the best name I've ever heard is... John ahaha! I think it's brilliant!

nic85

Visit site
I've commented on one of these threads before, but I went on a riding holiday as a teenager and they had a grey arab called PEABRAIN!!!!!

I know I've commented before, but I remember Peabrain!! That is where I met and fell in love with Wilmot, yes he was a pony! :)

Simon
Norbert
His-Nibs
Puffin
Marmalade
Fly
Bart
Pringle

I could go on!!!

SVMel

Visit site
My friend used to ride one called 'Finger' and as a kid my mum rode 'Babycham'.
Ones I've known over the years include
Cowenbeg
Brasso
Tiddler
Trampus
John
Piglet
Bumpy
Uranus (yes really, on a riding school...)
Piccolo
Bamba
Just a few.... I now realise how many horses have had odd names, but I just accepted they were normal!!!!