Strange object found in horses poo

Souxi

Visit site
Need Help!! :confused:

Whilst poo picking my field I found a strange object in my horse's poo. It looks like part of the intestines?

I was brave enough (and found some latex gloves!) and broke the object apart, inside was digested horse poo with some small red cotton like things (guessing red worms)

Here is the object (sorry its not pretty!!) my vet has no idea what it is from the photo, but if anyone has seen anything like this before or know what it is I would be very grateful for some advice!!

http://flic.kr/p/av4LNE

Thanks in anticipation!!

PingPongPony

Visit site
looks a bit like a stomach to me. horses have been known to eat animals before so may be a part of another animal that ponio found in the hedge or something? Just a guess.

saxonhorse

www.ipcmedia.com
Could it be a Fetus. that of a baby Rat or mouse. I deal in Hay and have come across plenty of dead baby mice in bales of Hay. Pulling snakes out of a bale can be intresting as well, I dont worry unless i loaded that hay in the Okanagan area, they have Rattlers:eek: :D

legaldancer

Visit site
Are you sure she couldn't have pooed on top of this? Did you find it in the field. It looks like a bigger version of the thing my cat leaves when she eats rabbits, mice etc.

Clippy

Visit site
I don't know what it is but i'm fascinated!

Probably some new kind of parasite previously undiscovered.... or an alien!

CeeBee

Visit site
Grrrrrooosssss... But strangely fascinating. A haggis? :D

Sorry, I have no idea, but can see why you are worried. Try posting in the Vet forum on here, maybe someone on there may have seen something similar.

CeeBee

Visit site
Grrrrrooosssss... But strangely fascinating. A haggis? :D

Sorry, I have no idea, but can see why you are worried. Try posting in the Vet forum on here, maybe someone on there may have seen something similar. Please keep us up to date if you find out.

finkle

Visit site
No idea but looks gross....still will be watching the outcome with interest! Cant wait to hear what it actually is!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
looks a bit like a stomach to me. horses have been known to eat animals before so may be a part of another animal that ponio found in the hedge or something? Just a guess.

I'm with you on this one, it looks the same exactly the same as a rabbit's stomach. I pull them out of rabbits when gutting them, almost identical to this.

CeeBee

Visit site
Just googled 'rabbit stomach' and found this...

Rabbitstomach.jpg

dumpling

Visit site
I'd say it's a toss up between the rabbits stomach and the little fetus.

I found that foal page really interesting, how amazing.

suestowford

Visit site
I'm leaning more towards the rabbit stomach - they eat grass too so the stomach would be full of partly digested grass and would therefore look a bit like horse poo.