Strange one - ground work with a neck rope only

BBP

Visit site
Does anyone know of any good trainers I can follow on line who do groundwork either at liberty or with a neckrope only? It’s my current challenge with BBP, brought on partly by the assessment of his wave mouth and avoiding any rein contact that would encourage him to come into flexion at the moment and partly by his facial sensitivity when he has hayfever. I thought it would be interesting to see how much I can achieve with no bridle or halter. So far he will yield towards or away from me, do Spanish walk, shoulder in and pole work, but I’m getting confused as to how to create defined aids for things like travers, half pass, walk pirouettes etc. I’m not sure if there is any online instruction for this sort of stuff.

Taliesan

Visit site
Have you ever looked at Connection Training and the stuff they train at liberty with positive reinforcement?

However, I'm not sure how far they go into the lunging / groundwork at liberty in terms of the more advanced movements.

Having a quick think about it myself now though I see no reason why you couldn't teach those particular moves with target training.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We don't follow a particular system and I can't point you to any You tube vids or anything but I can tell you how we work at liberty with our horses. We use pressure in the same place where a leg aid would be applied, pressure can be applied literally by the hand or by pointing. We use clicker training to teach the horses which responses we want.

canteron

Visit site
Have you ever looked at Connection Training and the stuff they train at liberty with positive reinforcement?

Hannah at Connection training studied with Phillippe Karl I think so has classical influences. She is really nice so I would just email her and ask. Even if you don’t use the clicker it will have the movements chunked down to its components.

BBP

Visit site
Having trouble with phone keyboard so will write proper replies later but thank you! And also thanks to the person who pm’d me.

BlackRider

Visit site
Check out the Horse Agility club, they have different tests you can enter each month, which include at liberty.

the owner Vanessa Bee is very supportive and also has a couple of good books too.

Otherwise

Visit site
Art of natural dressage might be what you're looking for, I think the forums dead but there's lots of info about training at liberty or with just a neck rope.

paddy555

Visit site
I can't get a you tube link to work on here but if you search you tube for "Riding with the Tellington TTouch method liberty neckring" it may give you some ideas.
There are lots of other videos about her method on you tube (search Tellington jones TTouch) but that one may give you some ideas.