Strange question but does your horse...

PooJay

Visit site
think sheepskin is the scariest thing in the world?

My mare totally freaks at it and i wondered if anyone else had the same problem? White sheepskin seems to be the scariest but we do have a bad reaction to dark coloured sheepskin too.

Did some desensitising to it last night but she's still not wholly comfortable with the situation.

Wondered if anyone can tell me maybe what she finds so scary...the smell, the feel, the shadows? :confused:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
No, not once they're used to it running round on the backs of the sheep:D Goats however :eek:

Auslander

Visit site
I feel your pain! I have a sheepskin numnah, which he doesn't blink an eye at, but I also have a proper sheepskin, which I am planning to turn into a half pad. Every time I go near him with it, he grows to 22hh, does dragon snorts and tries to run away!

PooJay

Visit site
I feel your pain! I have a sheepskin numnah, which he doesn't blink an eye at, but I also have a proper sheepskin, which I am planning to turn into a half pad. Every time I go near him with it, he grows to 22hh, does dragon snorts and tries to run away!

Yup! This is exactly my mare but she is like it with half pads too. Took it off in the middle of a jumping lesson last week as i was worried my saddle was a little tight....biiiiiiiiiig mistake lol I thought it was the whiteness of it as i had a similar experience with a sheepskin girth sleeve that nearly sent her into orbit :rolleyes: but no, i bought a brown sheepskin bareback pad and she's just as bad with that. She's fine if i con her with some apples and put it on without her actually taking a good look at it, it's taking it off that's the problem. :rolleyes:

I wasn't sure if it's the smell that worries her with it being a dead animal....she's a sensitive soul anyway and regardless of all the desensitising i did with her last night i suspect we my have the same issues next time she meets it. :rolleyes:

little_critter

Visit site
I wasn't sure if it's the smell that worries her with it being a dead animal....she's a sensitive soul anyway and regardless of all the desensitising i did with her last night i suspect we my have the same issues next time she meets it. :rolleyes:

My mare loves sniffing goat hair brushes.

millikins

Visit site
I bought one to sit on in the cart. All 3 ponies terrified of it so left it tied to their field gate in the sunshine. Came back about 3 hours later, girls as expected had decided it wasn't going to eat them and wandered off, Welshie, judging from the semicircle of droppings had remained staring at it and snorting. He refused to go past the spare stable because that's where I put it, also the Landrover as that's where it came from. Didn't mind real sheep or sheepskin numnah:rolleyes:

PooJay

Visit site
I bought one to sit on in the cart. All 3 ponies terrified of it so left it tied to their field gate in the sunshine. Came back about 3 hours later, girls as expected had decided it wasn't going to eat them and wandered off, Welshie, judging from the semicircle of droppings had remained staring at it and snorting. He refused to go past the spare stable because that's where I put it, also the Landrover as that's where it came from. Didn't mind real sheep or sheepskin numnah:rolleyes:

I think i may have to get more apples and extra strong mints involved. If she associates anything with food it usually ends up our friend.:D

Ella19

Visit site
Mine snorts at her lemieux sheepskin girth cover, we have song and dance about getting it on but once on she's fine :rolleyes:

PooJay

Visit site
Mine snorts at her lemieux sheepskin girth cover, we have song and dance about getting it on but once on she's fine :rolleyes:

yes mine was a le mieux.....took 25 mins to get it near her - cue shooting accross the yard sideways very nearly dislodging our brand new dressage saddle snorting and looking like the world was about to collapse in on itself :rolleyes:

She's as freshly frightened of it every time i use something sheep skin. I really do wonder if it's the smell that freaks her out:confused: