strange question....

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
I know this is a very strange and macabre question to ask but...
has anyone had their horse cremated and had ashes returned?
Two of my friends have and with very different outcomes and is causing a bit of heartbreak.
A had her 13.2 cremated and she was returned in a box that is about the size of a tiny coffin.
B had her 17h cremated and returned in an urn the standard size of a humans.

BOTH have been told that they received all of their beloved back but now both are a bit upset due to obvious difference.

Sorry its so sick but they are looking for reasurance

Colline

Visit site
Well listen to this one then - had old pony pts when he was 38 - decided i wanted his ashes back to bury in his fav field. Anyway got home from work one day to a box on the doorstep that have bleach advertising all over it - thought who the bloody hell has left me that - on closer inspection i realised it was my beloved pony. Box size 30cms wide by bleach bottle plus a bit high - would fit approax 1/2 dozen bottles - pony size 11.2hh at most.

Anyway in answer to your question it really depends on whether your friends paid for their horses to be cremated individually as most crematoriums seem to do batches (they seem to here)

amandathepanda

Visit site
If you have a private cremation it costs an absolute fortune & our local horsey crem usually does batches to keep the costs down. What you get is a 'proportion' of the ashes.

madmuppet

Visit site
I had my beloved horse cremated in 2007 and he was 16.2. I got his ashes back in a box about 12" x 12" and prob about 20kgs in weight too. I was so upset at the time but I am certain its only his ashes. I still have them as i cant bring myself to scatter them.

sarahs

Visit site
Im exactly the same as madmuppet - very large box for 15.2 - happened about 3 years ago - still have ashes, they are currently in the boot of my mums car as she keeps trying to get me to take them but I always say "Not today, im not up for it"

madmuppet

Visit site
I always said when it was time for my old guy to go i would get him cremated and then scatter his ashes in his favourite spot in his field but when it came down to it i just couldnt do it. Its been over a year now and i still cant do it. I was gutted when i had to let him go. He was 36 and i had owned him for 22 years, we had such fun together and he was my best friend. I was lost without him. I lost the plot for a bit afterwards and ended up having to have a chat with a "woman" who helped me and she said if i didnt feel like scattering his ashes then not to as if i got pressered into scattering him and i wasnt ready i would regret it. I am so glad that i didnt scatter him. I know that its a strange thing to keep him in a box in my room but i just feel so much better that i have done that. So if its a bit of a rant.. I still find it really hard to talk about him without getting upset.

laura05

Visit site
my sister had her 15 hands horse cremated last year and the ashes were in about a 12" by 12 " wooden box was supposed to be individual but after finding out where it was done wouldnt be so sure!

emma_lg

Visit site
My first mare was cremated...private cremation and I got a beautiful wooden box which was heavy (prob about 20kgs)...nearly 12 years ago now...I knew where I wanted to scatter her ashes...but I still haven't been able to do it...I was devastated and still think about her lots.
I have it with a memory box of things connected with her.

WoopsiiD

A is like that...she is 35 never had kids and for 26 years this mare was her life. She bred a foal from her and still has the 'foal' who is now 24. She had to go on a course of anti d's and had time off work. Two days after the mare was pts we had to rush the other to Bourton Vale and almost lost her. So A has been through the mill in the last-personal probs too.
Some people so called friends from the non horsey world tell her to get over it, it was just a pony but...
Sad thing is...now she is paying monthly for the crem of the 'foal' as she is not well now.

BBH

Visit site
Yes had my 17hh boy cremated and all was arranged by vet.
He ( or part of him ) came home in an Oak casket with a brass plaque with his name on. Size about 12" x 6"

emma_lg

Visit site
I feel for A...how lovely tho to have had a foal from her beloved mare...but what an awful thing to go through for her.
I wish I had had a foal from my mare...but strangely it never crossed my mind...probably cos I didnt think I would be experienced enough. I lost her when I was 24yrs old...had her for 12 years - so basically we were together all through my 'growing up' years and she was my one constant throughout I spose.
Yep..some people told me 'just imagine the money you could have now and you can go shopping loads now' - I was not impressed (hardly comparable) and I realised they were not my real friends...my real friends who knew my mare cried with me.

WoopsiiD

A had a bit of an awful childhood so this mare was what she considered to be her 'family' TBH I dont think she will ever get over losing her and I'm dreading the day when she phones me to ask for help again...on the day her mare was pts she asked me if thats what I would do, when I said yes she walked away saying that she couldnt do and would I? It has to be the worst thing I have ever had to do, I would go as far as to say it was worse than giving the nod for my old boy.
Yep, your real friends are the ones that hand you their blubbed on tissue.....then ask for it back as they need it again

brackenhappy

Visit site
had my yearling privately creamted and all of her came back. didnt come in a fancy wooden box though!! just a green box and weighed a bloody ton!! that will be 3 yrs in august and i still havent got it in me to spread her ashes. part of me wants to wait until my mare (her mum) goes as she will be getting privately cremated and spread them both together so they are re-united again. i'm hoping that this wont happen for a long time yet and until then coco will just have to keep sitting on my shelf in my bedroom. i'm also stuck in that i'm no longer on the yard that coco was born and died on so wouldnt know where the best place would be to spread the ashes. as for the friends that sparrow mentioned i also had friends some non-horsey some with horses say many times 'its just a horse' and they wonder why i dont really bother with them now!