Strange reaction after dentist

vmac66

Visit site
My mare had a routine dental float this morning. She's had it done before. Within minitues she was struggling to walk and staggering. Her eyes were flickering and she was moving her head from side to side. The vet saw her and said it was neurological and has given her various in jections. They thought she may have eaten something and had a build up of toxins that were released due to the stress of the dentist. Fingers crossed she is on the mend, i really thought I was going to lose her this morning. Has anyone experienced anything like this x

ihatework

Visit site
Never seen it myself but have heard about it.
Most likely something about the head positioning / gag use.
Keep up the prescription drugs and then I’d be inclined to have a couple of sessions with a good Chiro/Physio and avoid contact work in the short term

vmac66

Visit site
Thanks for replys. Have just been to see her and she is 99.9 percent back to normal. Will keep checking her every couple of hours. Will certainly get her poll checked.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Might be worth getting her hydroid and poll checked out by ACPAT trained
physiotherapist .
You might also want to consider giving Danilon before the next dental I had one that needed that .
She also may be one to have done by a dental qualified vet rather than an EDT .
It sounds awful I hope she’s ok .

vmac66

Visit site
Thanks. She will definitely be sedated next time. Watching your horse staggering round isn't something I ever want to see again x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sounds very scary glad she is looking a lot better, another thing that also helps is letting the horse have a break from the gag so not keeping the jaw open for long periods, some dentists and vets don't always do this and it can cause quite a few problems I do think it is a time issue a lot of the time they just want to get it done, my dentist really takes his time and does a little at a time and releases the gag in between and I would much rather it took an hour to do to allow for this.

vmac66

Visit site
The dentist is brilliant and gave her time to drop her head with the tag released. Left her tucking into a haynet. Apart from being a bitxauiet she seems her normal self. Think it's going to be one of those things we never get to the bottom. Will be watching her like a hawk for next couple of days.

molar roller

Visit site
if she is staggering that may be dangerous. but after sedation you can see, struggling to walk eyes tearing, sweating.... these are normal.
by the way maybe always she sedated by small dose ksilazine but first time your vet try to use detomidine (dormosedan) or turbogesic or another active ingredient...that can be another reason.