strange request?

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Looking for potential backers for my horse, found one and messaged them. Asked if they had previous customers who would recommend them to which they said yes. I asked could I speak to some as obviously I'd like to get some feedback before sending my horse. They've just messaged back to say that they can't give numbers out (ok fine) but was asking to speak to previous clients so strange? Would you bother with them on this account?

be positive

Visit site
I think that is fair and professional, they cannot give out clients numbers to anyone who contacts them anymore than any other professional would. The best thing is to ask around for recommendations if you want a reference, then approach the yard or go to the yard you are interested in and see how things look there may be clients you can speak to then.

fankino04

Visit site
Its a tricky one as obviously you want an independent opinion on them but of course they cant hand out clients numbers either, maybe its best to ask your vets / farrier for recommendations as they will have seen horses after they came back from being backed?

mynutmeg

Visit site
They can't give out other people's personal information due to data protection act however you could ask her to pass on your contact details to previous customers and ske that they phone you

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Mynutmeg that's what I was thinking. Of course I didn't expect to get personal numbers, but was thinking more they could put me in touch/ ask previous customers if they'd talk to me

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Well no they can't give out numbers just like that, but if someone asked me for testimonials/references I'd ask clients if they (a) minded me passing on their number or (b) would be willing to ring a potential client and have a chat with them. Word of mouth is how most of us operate, and personal recommendation is the best form of advertising. So no, not such a strange request OP, though you might find them more forthcoming if you actually speak with them rather than messaging (I like to know who I'm talking to :) ).

kateo

Visit site
It's quite common for satisfied customers (of all sorts of businesses) to give consent for their details be provided to potential customers. I'd be wary if they can't offer any references.

The wife

Visit site
We run a backing and schooling yard and i Would never give out clients numbers without firstly asking their permission, just as I would never divulge any information about a horse to a third party :). And no I don't think it is strange for asking for you to ask testimonials at all, we personally encourage it. That way your able to get an unbiased opinion of a yard and a persons experience of it, just like we actively encourage clients to visit at any time, without necessarily letting us know beforehand.

There are so many people out there that claim to 'do this and that' but having witnessed the aftermath of a bad job done all to regularly at the moment, I think it's important to gain as much information that you can about the people who will be looking after your horse and follow your gut. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

As said prior farriers and vets are the most informative on yards, as is word of mouth. Every single one of our clients is from word of mouth and we pride ourselves on this, as most professionals would. Gossip gets around quickly and a reputation can be ruined in 20 seconds but takes years to achieve.

Good luck :)

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
We run a backing and schooling yard and i Would never give out clients numbers without firstly asking their permission, just as I would never divulge any information about a horse to a third party :). And no I don't think it is strange for asking for you to ask testimonials at all, we personally encourage it. That way your able to get an unbiased opinion of a yard and a persons experience of it, just like we actively encourage clients to visit at any time, without necessarily letting us know beforehand.

There are so many people out there that claim to 'do this and that' but having witnessed the aftermath of a bad job done all to regularly at the moment, I think it's important to gain as much information that you can about the people who will be looking after your horse and follow your gut. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

As said prior farriers and vets are the most informative on yards, as is word of mouth. Every single one of our clients is from word of mouth and we pride ourselves on this, as most professionals would. Gossip gets around quickly and a reputation can be ruined in 20 seconds but takes years to achieve.

Good luck :)

Thank you. That's what I'd be worried about really, I don't know these people at all and don't know the name of their business. I would have expected them to say something similar to you, ie of course we cant give out details but I understand why you want to know and then maybe offer to get in touch with previous clients themselves and see if they would be willing to recommend them (if I had been happy with a service, I'd happily do that)

HBM1

Visit site
When I was looking I asked on here if anyone knew anyone good (actually asked in competition rider), I got some good recommendations - from those I looked up the websites and googled the riders and found a great one. You could try the same maybe?

The wife

Visit site
Thank you. That's what I'd be worried about really, I don't know these people at all and don't know the name of their business. I would have expected them to say something similar to you, ie of course we cant give out details but I understand why you want to know and then maybe offer to get in touch with previous clients themselves and see if they would be willing to recommend them (if I had been happy with a service, I'd happily do that)

You're welcome, we're as mad as a bunch of frogs and the kettle is on too much but like to help where I can :) have you tried googling the yard or perhaps Facebook stalk the names of the people?! (Just hope nobody does it to me as mine are mainly 'i need wine status updates') :eek: FB is a very powerful tool in finding things out about people and their businesses? I know it's not particularly PC mind but its your horse, your money and potentially the making or breaking of a horses career so I'd find it important to gain as much info as possible, regardless of the means :p

TallulahBright

Visit site
When I was searching for someone to restart my girl I spoke to some recommended ones (people had heard of, used etc etc) and then if I liked what they said on the phone I went to visit and took trusted friend then went on what I saw, heard and gut feeling. Made absolutely the right decision and got a cracking result.
Not only got back a confident beastie but one who'd spent eight weeks being ridden in wind, rain and storms. Weather not a problem for us now :

Waffles

Visit site
If it was me professionally breaking/training a horse and you asked me, I'd say "I'll ask X,Y and Z if they would ring you, or will ring them and ask them if it's ok to pass your number on" - definitely.

JulesRules

Visit site
In my professional non horsey life I buy a lot of services and if I'm using a new company always ask for references. I expect the company to check with their other clients that they are happy for me to contact them before passing out their details.

On the other side of the coin I'm always happy to provide references for other companies if they have provided a good service.

I don't see why equestrian businesses should be any different