strange scabby legs

JessPickle

Visit site
A horse I loaned when I was younger (but still see regurlary) has these horrible scabs on his back legs. He gets them all year round and he has to have his feathers clipped off constantly now they have tried just about every idea possible and they wont budge. Vets have prescribed a few things with no/little sucess. Basically wanted your ideas

chriscrogul

Visit site
I've always found this works; smother the scabs in an emollient (ie sudocreme, or nappy rash cream), wrap in clingfilm then bandage over the top overnight. Unwrap the following day, the majority of scabs will come off on the clingfilm, gently hand pick any loose ones, repeat as necessary. The worst cases I've treated have cleared within 3 days. Once the legs are scab free, maybe use a mud fever prevention cream to stop them reappearing; I've heard that Mud Guard feed supplement works well but I havn't used it myself.

lifeslemons

www.eventingworldwide.com
Chriscrogul, cheers for the insightful method, but I would question using clingfilm! Surely this is just going to turn the leg into a virtual oven and trap any heat? This concern is doubled since it would be left on overnight... potentially 15 hours from evening stables to breakfast.

I would use brown paper - e.g. the lining of feed bags - like many people do for Ice Tight. This would, I imagine, stop the emollient from going everywhere.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Pig oil and sulphur - PM me if you want the very long but detailed PM I do for those wanting to know about where to buy, how to apply etc.

My haires have full feather and very healthy legs as a result of using the stuff.

MadMacher

www.madmacher.co.uk
use udder cream when turning out to protect the legs!
Works wonders and is around £9.99 for a hugh tub.
smile.gif

mostfunintown

Visit site
Could be mites ( Very common) I have found PESTOBAN to be a great cure for this especially in the summer as you can leave it on for up to 24 hours in the field thn just hose off and within days the scabs are gone and they don't come back coz you killed the mite. Can also be used as a shampoo to stop the little pest returning