Strange things on hacks.....

Lammy

Visit site
We did once meet a pressure cooker on the step of a house, it was hissing away to itself in quite an alarming manner, both horses ignored it, which given that earlier on the same ride one had spooked at the other one snorting and then the one that snorted spooked at the one that spooked, was quite remarkable :D

Hahahaa absolutely hilarious! I cried laughing at that.

The most memorable for me was a few years ago when me and a friend had cantered down three fields that linked together and makes a fantastic stretch for a gallop. I had to pull up very quickly at the end of the third field as two very naked people were having sex on a picnic blanket! Thankfully they saw the horses cantering towards them and stopped but they had no other blankets to cover themselves up with and had to haphazardly lay their clothes over their bodies as we walked right past. We both duly said good morning and noted on the way up the bypass that there were two separate cars. Naughty!

The only other thing that's really happened was me and the same friend were waiting for our other friend to come and meet us at our yard on her horse when we got a call from her saying her horse had reared and was currently careering through the village on the main road. Our yard was on a little road just off that main road but just 200 yards down is an even busier and faster road. So cue me and friend running down the village. I played it out like an action film, stopped a car and hopped in the passenger seat, explaining I needed to catch a horse that was on the loose in the village. Bless the woman as she drove me right down until we found said horse cantering up the road towards us. Unfortunately runaway horse swerved both me and my friend and carried on towards the busier road at the end of the village. Thankfully he swerved up the road to our yard and we found him (after getting another lift back up) stood outside the yard gate whinnying to our girls, the little sod. Friend who fell off eventually turned up after also getting a lift from a stranger, she hadn't hurt anything and we simply carried on with our hack. We figured the worst had already happened!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Nothing as good as some of the above stories. Fly-tips are common my way, so sofas, fridges, mattresses, and burnt out cars are an expected sight. I almost took an abandoned bike home with me (would have entailed pushing bike while leading horse) but thought bike was too battered and rusty to be worth the hassle. Other than that, we've come across people having sex in a car, huskies pulling carts, and the coolest thing ever was a guy hunting with a goshawk. I was having a crap day but rode away with a smile because seeing the dude with a hawk on his arm was awesome.

NZJenny

Visit site
I ride in a public forest park that qets very busy over Christmas/New Year, so early morning is best. I have frequently met a man who wears nothing but a small back pack and obviously does it lots as he has no tan lines.

We say good morning and go our seperate ways, but I never know where to look!

On the other front - sled dogs train in another forestry block I use. You do not want to meet a pack of those coming around a corner, but luckily they are noisey.

leggs

Visit site
I took home on horseback; in total 7 kittens that were abandoned, not all at the same time, 1 rabbit (that was a hard one, too far to walk home and mounting a horse of 18.2hh) and found one crimescene in the Woods (and ofcourse no Phone with me)

stormclouds

Visit site
We got a lot of gypsies out with their trotters in our woods, so heaven forbid if you came across these poor ponies going hell for leather along one of the wide bridlepaths. Took my friend's horse out once and bumped into them coming towards. Horse's reaction was little more than giraffe neck and few piaffey steps. Continue down road and cue man in front of us kneel down to hold onto dogs. Horse's brain blows out and refuses to keep four legs on the floor until the man stands up (I could hear him: "OH stormclouds, not to worry, it's a PERSON").

In the same woods, we could take shortcut through a thicket of brambles etc (fine to do in winter when we had exercise sheets and thick jods on!), and in the middle was a small clearing. One ride we bumped into an old-ish man wearing all shades of beige sat on a gravel bin (was near a housing estate) doing nothing. He stared at us, and we very quickly realised he looks like the bad guys in The Lovely Bones (if anyone's seen it!), so we didn't fancy hanging around in the middle of the woods just in case.

Also used to get lots of bmx-ers and motocross boys. The scramblers were great (apart from ripping up the tracks), and as soon as they saw us would always stop. I remember once, two of them were haring up a hill (our gallop hill!) to where we were stood, they hadn't seen anything as it's quite blind until you're half way up, so two of their friends went sprinting down after them.

Have also had teenage boys getting drunk in the woods, lots of fly tipping, and packs of children running towards my then (very flighty) horse screaming.

Love these stories about rescuing animals, so lovely

willhegofirst

Visit site
The train from the Harry Potter films amongst other things, ride in the country park behind Pinewood studios, often come across film sets.
We also have a lot of gypsies with their poor trotters, although one we have come across in some private woods has stopped and been very good, doesn't stop my boy having a meltdown.

Dubsie

Visit site
We hack past an airplane:
1060329.jpg

They don't bat an eye at it (doesn't move)

Merrymoles

Visit site
A friend of mine got flashed at once while she was walking her dog. She told the man he should be ashamed of himself because she had bigger worms in her garden!

Off topic but years ago I was walking my dogs with an old lady from nearby and her Jack Russell when we got flashed at. She told her dog "fetch the stick, fetch the stick" - never seen trousers done up so quickly! Could hardly walk for laughing.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Off topic but years ago I was walking my dogs with an old lady from nearby and her Jack Russell when we got flashed at. She told her dog "fetch the stick, fetch the stick" - never seen trousers done up so quickly! Could hardly walk for laughing.

Oh dear, that's a classic! THe old lady had obviously been around the block a few times :)

blowsbubbles

Visit site
Probably more the other way around but me and the mare always need to stop for nature calls while out on our hack. So much so we have regular places we both go, always find it a bit strange as we squat looking at each! Have nt been caught by a walker yet, but there has been a few hurried pulling up joddy moments!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Forgot this one:

Ambling along the road in the village, hear a car coming up behind us. Fine. But I hear voices coming from the car like they're outside, which is weird, so I turn to look over my shoulder. Car comes zooming along the road with a guy riding on the roof, lying on his stomach and holding onto the edges on the windows. He shouts, "Horse!" (really?) and as they zip past, he crawls James Bond style through one of the back windows. Horse and I both staring at car bug-eyed. Gunning for a Darwin Award, that one.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Gosh.......... you guys certainly make my hacking look a bit tame.

I used to ride mine where the military trained and it was quite common to be in a situation where you were under some trees with World War III going on around you, like small-arms fire and a big mortar gun up on the range going off "booooom" every 30 seconds, THEN a helicopter hovered over the trees, literally brushing the leaves, and started decanting personnel from it.

Horse was fine, unbelievably - dealt with all of that (rider was wetting herself LOL) - but then a butterfly flew in front on him on the way home and he spooked at it. That's horses for you.

pennyturner

Visit site
This morning my unflappable NF couldn't get his head around... a large group of ramblers wearing plastic bags on their feet.
This guy goes quietly past trucks, buses, timber cranes, traction engines - you name it, but not badly shod people.
I mean; it's just not NORMAL is it?