Strangest non-riding injury

4Hoofed

Visit site
I appear to have ruined my shoulder by rolling over in my sleep?? Busted since august, one armed warrior, thought it was my collar bone subluxation deteriorating with age (I’m 31 😭😭😫) no, my shoulder, shoulder blade and collarbone are all moving incorrectly, incredibly painful and the consultants words “not right” and I’ve spent the last 4 months assuring lots of medical professional that I definitely 💯 have not fallen off a horse 🤦‍♀️😱 apparently my medical record suggests that’s a possibility 😂😂

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I trapped a nerve in my shoulder recently…. lifting a spoonful of porridge to my gob. Took 3 days to untrap itself and I’ve never felt pain like it with no actual “cause” 😂
I twisted a joint in my neck years ago, turning round to pick up a bag of crisps whilst watching TV!

I also put my back out stepping awkwardly off the pavement on the way into an Olympic weightlifting class, and I've put my back out bending awkwardly over my little paper shredder! 🤪 🤣🤣

Visit site
When I got clonked on the head clipping the next day my head was totally fine - not sore, no lump, no headache just a bit more bleeding where I hadn't waited 24 hours before washing the blood out of my hair so also washed the glue out. But my backside was killing me! I must have pulled all the muscles in one side of my erse twisting away from the horse 😂

Esmae

Visit site
Tripped over the corner of a stable mat last week. Fractured elbow and muscle damage. Horse looked at me in amazement and then carried on eating his hay.
I can totally empathize with this. I did similar. Tripped over rubber mat, hit steel gatepost on the way down. Broke my upper arm in 3 places and dislocated it as well. Was not in the least bit amusing. Hope that you mend well.

GypsGal1718

Visit site
Broke my shoulder jumping something and even though I couldn’t lift it I rode an 18hh horse the next day, luckily he was a good boy or else I would have been screwed! Didn’t go to hospital for a few days until my friend said I had to or else I was screwed for life 😅

TwyfordM

Visit site
Far too many to count.

Most impressive one was just pure bad luck, said id be fine going and getting the "babies" in alone. Bear in mind these were 2 16hh plus youngsters.
Done it plenty of times before ...

Something spooked the one on my right, he bolted into the other one, while sending me flying with his shoulder and they both ran over the top of me, got booted in the back of the head by one of them too ...

Everyone stood on the muck heap thought I was dead 🤣 I was probably only unconscious for a split second. Not even a bloody bruise ...

I ached ... a lot 😂

Most undramatic one, put up my elbow to stop a baby cob from barging me, he just Plowed into my elbow and dislocated my shoulder. I went to hospital err .. 3 days later?

poacher82

Visit site
I got decked by an electric fence… a horse got an ear under it, panicked the wrong way, and galloped across the field with the fence round its neck. The whole thing stayed taut as each post pinged out of the ground, so he created a fast-moving clothesline. I realised too late what was going to happen and got wiped out just as I was thinking “oh shi…”. Head butted the baked ground - blood everywhere, mild concussion - and had the most amazing black and blue ribs on my back where the fence had whipped across me. Thank god the horse was perfectly ok, I was expecting to find a degloved ear.

little_critter

Visit site
I was recovering from a broken wrist, the cast had recently come off but I was still delicate.
I turned my horse & pony out with help from my OH. Patted horse and turned my back on him to walk over to my pony when my horse whipped round and knocked me flying. At least in the airborne split second I had the presence of mind to NOT land on my wrist.
Im impressed by these bruises, I never bruise much, even when I’ve broken bones the bruising has been minimal. Love a good bruise ☹️

palterwell

Visit site
I can totally empathize with this. I did similar. Tripped over rubber mat, hit steel gatepost on the way down. Broke my upper arm in 3 places and dislocated it as well. Was not in the least bit amusing. Hope that you mend well.
That sounds horrific! I hope you’re ok now .

lynz88

Visit site
Horse stamped on my foot then dragged it off removing the big toenail entirely. I saw stars! Went to local emergency care to check for broken bones, got seen promptly as receptionist mistakenly told triage my toe had come off! Fortunately it grew back pretty quickly.

Had to laugh at the receptionist. But that sounds horrible!!

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I got decked by an electric fence… a horse got an ear under it, panicked the wrong way, and galloped across the field with the fence round its neck. The whole thing stayed taut as each post pinged out of the ground, so he created a fast-moving clothesline. I realised too late what was going to happen and got wiped out just as I was thinking “oh shi…”. Head butted the baked ground - blood everywhere, mild concussion - and had the most amazing black and blue ribs on my back where the fence had whipped across me. Thank god the horse was perfectly ok, I was expecting to find a degloved ear.
They all sound bad (admittedly I grinned a little bit about the lickit, sorry ☺️) but this sounds utterly horrible.

Some of the bruises shown here are quite impressive 😮.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I appear to have ruined my shoulder by rolling over in my sleep?? Busted since august, one armed warrior, thought it was my collar bone subluxation deteriorating with age (I’m 31 😭😭😫) no, my shoulder, shoulder blade and collarbone are all moving incorrectly, incredibly painful and the consultants words “not right” and I’ve spent the last 4 months assuring lots of medical professional that I definitely 💯 have not fallen off a horse 🤦‍♀️😱 apparently my medical record suggests that’s a possibility 😂😂
I developed a frozen shoulder by sleeping in an odd position. My gorgeous kitty was to blame. He used to sleep with his upper body across my arm with his head on the pillow and body stretched full length next to me. This put my arm into a fixed position and I must have stayed like that for hours each night. No regrets! It didn't heal until after he was pts.

I once stupidly attempted to put cold fly goo on my mare's teats. She was very good with this normally, but that day was the first of the season, so about April time. She took rather extreme offence and shot forward, double barrelling me on both thighs. It's the only time I've ever been kicked! Lovely imprints of both (thankfully barefoot) hind hooves on my thighs. I never took liberties after that, funnily enough!!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I got horrific bruises on both shins last year falling up the steps to the feed room which have metal edges. Still can feel a dent in one. Didn't spill the sugar beet though.

I broke my toe at karate, no surprise there, except I did it in the changing room bashing it on a bench leg. A few weeks later when I thought it was better I was getting changed after the class, caught it in the hem of my pants and snapped it again in the same place.

BackintheSaddle1983

Visit site
I almost lost an eye untying a hay net. I untied it and pulled it away from the wall and it somehow swung the rope part round and smacked it across my face. Looked liked I’d been burned with hair straighteners!

Mrs B

Visit site
Not strange as much as not understood (at the time). I do understand now I know more history, 9 years later.
(Apologies to those who have seen it before, but I think it bears repeating to show what damage a horse's bite can do.)

WARNING! Not nice photo below ...

I had owned H for about 9 months. I simply leant on his door, to check he had enough hay.
This bite was the result.
Through gloves.

Attachments

• Hand bite.jpg
    Hand bite.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 14

doodle

Visit site
We had hired an arena to try and do some jumps. My horse couldn't possibly even walk over a single pole. So in desperation got off him.and lead him over. Up and over he went, landing on top of me and knocked me to the ground, landing full force on my keg. The resulting heamotoma never went away. They stuck needles in and and drained it twice. It just filled up again so I now have a lump which thankfully is completely numb.

Esyllt

Visit site
Not strange as much as not understood (at the time). I do understand now I know more history, 9 years later.
(Apologies to those who have seen it before, but I think it bears repeating to show what damage a horse's bite can do.)

WARNING! Not nice photo below ...

I had owned H for about 9 months. I simply leant on his door, to check he had enough hay.
This bite was the result.
Through gloves.
He obviously hasn't heard the saying don't bite the hand that feeds you...

Mine was a nice black, blue and purple egg sized lump in the middle of my forehead from bending down to pick up a tennis ball the exact same second the dog decided she actually did want to play with it, and launched like a missile. The knock left us both sitting there seeing stars, but I had the lump that looked like I wasn't a fully fledged unicorn... Thankfully she's only a Patterdale and not a mastiff or similar!

4Hoofed

Visit site
I developed a frozen shoulder by sleeping in an odd position. My gorgeous kitty was to blame. He used to sleep with his upper body across my arm with his head on the pillow and body stretched full length next to me. This put my arm into a fixed position and I must have stayed like that for hours each night. No regrets! It didn't heal until after he was pts.

I once stupidly attempted to put cold fly goo on my mare's teats. She was very good with this normally, but that day was the first of the season, so about April time. She took rather extreme offence and shot forward, double barrelling me on both thighs. It's the only time I've ever been kicked! Lovely imprints of both (thankfully barefoot) hind hooves on my thighs. I never took liberties after that, funnily enough!!
I have to say I’m currently sleeping on the sofa as when my other half moves the pain of it wakes me up… but this isn’t stopping the rottie x being the big spoon 😅😅 lol i can cope with the dogs! Probably not helping the lack of sleep/pain but I can’t turn them away!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I stabbed myself in the thigh with a 10" knife. I was making a DIY hay feeder and didnt have my tools so was using the enormous knife we used to cut carrots. I clearly remember thinking I better be careful, if I stab myself I will never hear the end of it, and then it slipped and I stabbed myself. I sat for a bit looking at it and making a plan incase I pulled it out and it had done the femoral artery. Luckily it hadnt, but it was about 8cms deep! I used animalintex and electricans tape to patch it up and went about my day. It was only when everyone started looking at me weirdly in Tesco that I realised it was pouring with blood. I ended up at the GP 2 days later getting a right telling off and yet another tetanus injection! I have a pretty good scar still.