strangles blood testing

kg51980

New User
Visit site
I am hoping to have a pony on full loan for my daughter but our yard owner insists on stangles testing before allowed on. She was blood tested today, does anyone have experience on this. i.e cost, result time frame etc.

Last edited:

Justturnedfifty

Visit site
I am hoping to have a pony on full loan for my daughter but our yard owner insists on stangles testing before allowed on. She was blood tested today, does anyone have experience on this. i.e cost, result time frame etc.

Can't answer your question directly, but what a sensible YO. Strangles is spreading in various locations in Worcestershire at the moment. The current outbreak is a livery yard and rumour has it, it was bought in by a new livery, so be thankful that your YO is taking precautions to protect her yard. Cost, time frames etc will likely be nothing compared to the potential vet costs you could have if strangles occurs.

Charlie31

Visit site
It's about £50-60 for the blood test and you should have the results back in two or three days. If it does come back positive then you could either have a further test in a couple of weeks to see if the readings are coming down or you could go straight to a guttural pouch wash which around us is more in the £150-200 range. How you proceeded would depend on things like the yard policy and vet's advice.

We have recently introduced strangles testing at our yard and since they started doing it every horse that has been tested has come back negative so hopefully you'll be fine.

dibbin

Visit site
It's about £50 and normally takes a couple of days. We had an outbreak locally a few years ago so most yards in our area require them for new horses now.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Mine was around £50 and the results came back in 3-5 days. However we then had to have another test as my boy must have had it before, meaning one of the strains was slightly raised. So we had to wait I think a week before re-testing to make sure it wasn't an active infection!

friskimagic

Visit site
Not quite related but can anyone advise me if a vet is allowed to tell a large riding centre to reopen if the yard still has carriers of strangles? 11 Red zone horses at this centre have been told they need guttural pouch washed yet the vet has let them reopen to trekking/lessons ect. Also the vet approved them to remove potential carriers from quarantine and ride them in the sand school along with clear horses. Im shocked as the vets were banging on about BHS STEPS code but not practising what they preach. Im in Scotland tia

Dry Rot

Visit site
Not quite related but can anyone advise me if a vet is allowed to tell a large riding centre to reopen if the yard still has carriers of strangles? 11 Red zone horses at this centre have been told they need guttural pouch washed yet the vet has let them reopen to trekking/lessons ect. Also the vet approved them to remove potential carriers from quarantine and ride them in the sand school along with clear horses. Im shocked as the vets were banging on about BHS STEPS code but not practising what they preach. Im in Scotland tia

I may be completely wrong about this post but it does have a familiar ring to it! The Highlands of Scotland is a small place and the horse world up here even smaller! I have no personal involvement in any strangles case except as an observer of a very unpleasant witch hunt and as someone who believes in truth and justice -- and not trial by silly people through the media!

Unless friskimagic has a veterinary degree and the necessary experience, perhaps the correct course would be to ask the vet? The vet cannot comment on a specific case but they are usually happy to give general advice.

If you have doubts about the competence of the vet, the correct course of action is to lodge a formal complaint with The Royal Veterinary College. But I would strongly advise against spreading malicious gossip as it can end up being extremely expensive.

OP, you may find the following site informative.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2011/01/11092246/4