strangles- is it a notifiable disease?

ellis9905

Visit site
i heard this morning that there has been an outbreak of strangles at a yard quite close to me, its a huge yard thats a riding school/livery yard, that hack out alot and have bridleways running through there land.

is strangles notifiable and is there anyway i can check this fact out?

TIA :)

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
As above. It's not, and now you have to be carefull not to to put yourselves at risk. Avoid hacking over their land and whilst hacking in the area, make sure your horses don't snack or graze en route. We are constantly at risk of coming across strangles as horses can leave infectious bacteria when not displaying symptoms themselves do can be out and about competing and hacking quite normally. Keeping hygiene in mind whenever and wherever greatly reduces the risk of picking up the condition.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Unfortunately not - it's very much down to the owners to be responsible in terms of notifying others/locking down the yard.

We've had a couple of minor scares at my yard as every horse is blood tested and quarantined and have had to cancel outings while we waiting for results - better to air on the side of caution.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Unfortunately not, it should be, as people are not responsible and only think of themselves, yard should be locked down and correct handling of affected horse/s

ellis9905

Visit site
thanks for all the replys, i will definatly be avoiding the area for a while then!

seems a bit difficult to know for definate , im not sure if its rumor or fact, the lady who told me seemed to be convinced its true about the out break- i dont want to mention yard by name, as if its only rumor then there reputation and livelyhood could be ruined but has anyone heard of an outbreak in one of the villages in south northants?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
thanks for all the replys, i will definatly be avoiding the area for a while then!

seems a bit difficult to know for definate , im not sure if its rumor or fact, the lady who told me seemed to be convinced its true about the out break- i dont want to mention yard by name, as if its only rumor then there reputation and livelyhood could be ruined but has anyone heard of an outbreak in one of the villages in south northants?

You're only going to have a problem if your horse is contact with a contagious horse - so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Shazbat

Visit site

I have heard of a non-confirmed out-break in east northants. Don't think this is a rumour - it came from a reliable source.