Strangles - need some advice.

pretendhorse

Visit site
I'm am posting under another name - sorry, but its a contentious subject and I know people on here know me in real life.

We had a young horse come to the yard about a month ago. I've been flat out with work so flitting in and out v early and v late and missing the yard gossip entirely. I did know the horse got sick and was PTS, but that was about it.

I found out that the vets think it was highly likely the horse had strangles. Now I'm aware that strangles testing can pick up antibodies, but as this one was PTS I'm guessing the owner decided she didn't want to / couldn't afford the medical treatment - which makes me think it was more than just a suspect case. Our yard owner is not horsey [sheep farmer] and not a lot of help with anything horse related.

My horses were never anywhere near this one and the advantage of being first on / last off the yard is they haven't really mixed with anything else either.

BUT - I am planning on moving yards and was in the process of agreeing dates with the new yard. Morally I can't load up my horses and shift them to a new place knowing what I now know.

WWYD? If I speak to my vets and say I want to move yards, then do you think they will categorically tell me about the other horse or are they obliged to keep it confidential?

Butterbear

Visit site
How long ago did said horse get pts? When was it diagnosed? When are you hoping to move? There is information available through the BHS regarding symptoms, quarantine etc. I think you're doing the right thing holding off until you know for sure, I'd be more than a little peed off if you moved to my yard having said nothing and buried your head and one of my horses got sick....do your research and get your vet to run bloods if necessary, better safe than sorry concerning your horses' health and that of others too.

Annagain

Visit site
I would be honest - tell the new YO that a horse on your yard became ill and was PTS. You don't know the details and for that reason you want to do strangles test before moving to ensure you're not putting anyone on the new yard at risk. Ask if (s)he would (s)he mind waiting for you to do this. I'm sure the new YO would be very grateful to you for doing the right thing and for your honesty.

hairycob

Visit site
Just talk to your own vet about the best test to use. If the horse was pts less than 2 weeks ago a clear blood test doesn't necessarily mean you are in the clear, likewise a positive doesn't necessarily mean you aren't as your horse could have been exposed months and still have antibodies in it's blood - one of mine was completely asymptomatic when his field mate caught strangles but was still carrying the bug for a few weeks, the other had really mild dsymptoms and was only diagnosed because his recent history led to vet to do a "just in case" swab even though she was 99.9% sure it wasn't. Your vet will be able to advise the best course of action that will give the clearest answer in the shortest time.

pretendhorse

Visit site
Thanks all - I'm going to drop the vet an email 'in confidence' tonight. I'm not sure how much they will be prepared to share with me about the other horse given it is non of my business but I think they will suggest a blood test anyway and I'm ok with that.

I have no idea if it was just strangles that meant it was PTS. I do know though that if there was a large vet bill associated with getting the horse well then the owner would have taken PTS as the cheaper option (that's not meant as a criticism btw, we can't all afford to spend £1000s on horse's medical costs)

Also reading the other strangles thread.

hairycob

Visit site
A straightforward strangles case won't cost £k (my bill for 2 was less than £700) so I'm guessing there was something else going on as well. A/ good verbally give you the right advice without breaching confidentiality if they also dealt with the other case.

Micropony

Visit site
Could you speak to the vet, explain the situation and ask whether they are aware of any reason it would not be advisable for you to move your horse at this time? That way you're not asking them to breach any professional confidences about a specific case, but giving them the opportunity to advise you about any tests your horse should have, and your conscience is clear that you're being responsible.