Strangles - secret or not?

diamonddogs

Visit site
As the title really.

I understand that a case has been confirmed in Bedworth, Warwickshire, but because the yard name isn't being circulated, it's going to cause a few problems for local shows, which began last week.

Personally I think it's vital that the name(s) of the yards concerned are spread around as wide an area as possible - people who were at a local show last weekend will be worrying, and wondering if they'd been in contact with a horse from the affected yard.

Maybe if this became the norm, it'd save a lot of distress both to people living in the area and potential witch-hunts.

Or maybe there are good reasons to protect the name of the yard(s)?

Theocat

Visit site
I think it's up to the yard to publicise it and then others to share it - which is not the same as just spreading it around. I agree other yards need to know but unfortunately the horse world isn't always squeaky clean when it comes to gossip or even malicious rumour, and it's the sort of thing that can be very damaging to a business - whereas being responsible and letting people know always seems to go down very well.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes I agree with you OP.

A local RS had a case and tried to keep it quiet, so customers were still coming and going and there was no obvious bio-security, there were several other cases linked to this one. A while later a local livery yard got it. They immediately instigated bio-security, informed any-one who might go there, including putting a notice on the gate and managed to contain the infection. Only their own 2 horses who were originally diagnosed at the same time were infected.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Yes, the yards could be brave and put the word out themselves (which I believe they have a moral responsibility to do), which would kill gossip stone dead and put paid to any potential malice - as you said, the horse world isn't always whiter than white.

It would take courage, yes, specially if it were a riding school, for example, with high potential for lost income, but businesses are built on honesty and trust, and could gain huge respect for being open. And of course, customers can then make an informed decision about their continued trade, and have opportunity to take sensible precautions to help contain the infection.

Last edited: