Strangles theres a lot about

twinklinggem

Visit site
There seems to be an awful lot of strangles about at the moment
frown.gif
there are several yards in my area that have it the area where i live not keep my horse thank goodnes.

Hope al recover soon

Shrimp

Visit site
Another yard by me has two confirmed places and there is a possibility that it may have spread, hopefully not to my yard
frown.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Oh no I thought it was clear around here now
frown.gif
Please can you PM the confirmed yard to me so I can keep clear, no one on our yard had mentioned the dreaded 'S' word for ages so obviously no one is aware of any new cases
frown.gif

Hope all poorley horses get well soon.

Wooleysmum

Visit site
Just heard a rumour that it is in the Black Isle area, near Inverness. Anyone out there know which yard? calling any Highlanders out there! I have been battling with laminitis, strangles would be the end of him.

moon_drop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just heard a rumour that it is in the Black Isle area, near Inverness. Anyone out there know which yard? calling any Highlanders out there! I have been battling with laminitis, strangles would be the end of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that there was a few cases in the nairn area a few weeks ago, That area was really bad last year I believe. There was something about it on kessock vets WWW a while back, i think.

Jemayni

Visit site
I dont think its increasing in prevalence really, but as awareness increases it is becoming more publicised.

Plus now vets seem to be of the attitude (and perhaps rightly so) that everything with a bad cold is to be treated as a strangles case until proven otherwise; which allows unfair rumours to be dispelled.

twinklinggem

Visit site
Theses horses have had swabbs taken and come back proven with strangles and the horses are very poorly
frown.gif
with flu you don't get the open sores on the jaw line.

Shrimp

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Plus now vets seem to be of the attitude (and perhaps rightly so) that everything with a bad cold is to be treated as a strangles case until proven otherwise; which allows unfair rumours to be dispelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my friends got sold a horse with strangles after it had been vetted....

Quarrybank

Visit site
You don't always get open sores with strangles either. My boy had absesses internally in his gutteral pouches. He too was poorly, but you wouldn't have know it was strangles until he was scoped & tested.
Re the essex comment. I'm essex & my boy has just recovered. He was the only one on the yard to get it. Our yard was shut down for 2 months, but we got the all clear on 2/7. I understand from the essex rider magazine that the Essex horse & pony sanctury in Pitsea also had it & were also quarenteened. I'm not sure if they've had the all clear yet.

Jemayni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my friends got sold a horse with strangles after it had been vetted....

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus thats terrible. Maybe its just down to the individual branch? Irrelevant of any other symptoms, any new horse on our yard that has a cold (a common occurence as they import.) has strangles until proven otherwise; an attitude which is slowly becoming a real pain in the backside, but Im not really complaining as its all for welfare at the end of the day....

SueClark1

New User
Visit site
It has been my experience, to witness, Strangles seems to hit those who are run down, or youngstock who havent had the virus?
We had over 60 horses and ponies at the stud, the only victims were the weak, none of the others caught it.

A new livery arrived and put a sign on the stable door Strangles do not touch, this was advised by their vet, and this was their first pony, the vet forgot to explain Stangles was contagious, or not to move the pony... we arrived back after being away three days showing to a yard of Mayhem...

We also learned that by transporting ferral native ponies from their natural areas, in open airy cattle type boxes, no stangles at all, or sweating. When we hired super racehorse transport always, sweating, stress, and stangles...as they don't travel together and the boxes are very dark.. so there is a lot to be said for the way native ferral ponies are moved, for their benifit and not our satifaction.
The professional in the office making the rules have all good intentions but sometimes they don't get it right...

Ballykfinn

New User
Visit site
We have lots of cases in the north west at the moment. Our local forum won't let us post the areas, so it is just spreading.

We have had people turn up at shows from infected yards and wonder why they are being turned away!

Whilst most people are doing everything they can some yards are purposefully hiding the fact they have it, which seems completely wrong.

One yard that has it now (nearly a year after the outbreak started) has actually advertised the fact they have it.

Why is there such a stigma to admitting your horse has strangles? Surely the health of the horses, prevention and cure comes first?