Strangles Vaccine.

vicm2509

Visit site
If there was a horse/s close to yours with the dreaded 'S', do you think it is worth getting your horse vaccinated?

How reliable is the vaccine? Or is it a waste of money? I know there are many different strains of strangles so is it possible that the vaccine could not be effective at all against certain strains? I am presuming its simalar to the human Flu vaccine, in that it immunises you against most strains but not all?

sammiea

Visit site
Having had a horse with strangles on a very small (only 6horses) private yard with all horses very close to each other and only one other catching it (but he caught it before we knew other had it) it is real stupidity that will pass it on. We managed to keep the horses all in their own stables with VERY high bio security and contained the diesease and eradicated it. Even our vets were suprise at the measures we took.
Maybe if others took more care if they had strangles then there wouldnt be such a problem

browbrow

Visit site
dont bother - the vaccine was taken off the shelfs about a year ago as it was proven not to even work - me and my whole yard are still waiting for a promised refund from the suppliers via the vets OR another injection once the vaccine was back working - still nothing a year later - from my experience I wouldnt bother until the manufacturers confirm the vaccine actually works!!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
No, wouldn't bother because;
1. Strangles vaccine only trialled on a small number of horses initially (I think six).
2. If your horse is high risk, you are supposed to vaccinate it more than once annually - expensive.
3. Intervet were forced to pay vet costs to some clients whose horses caught strangles after vaccination (from another source). The vaccine seemed to make them more likely rather than less likely to contract it, at which point I believe it was withdrawn from sale.
S
grin.gif

appyjude

Visit site
We made the HUGE mistake of having our mare vaccinated when there was an outbreak on a yard next to our first choice of trainer.........took her over 6 months to 'recover' from them.

She was very unwell immediately after the first and was obviously not right in herself - she was dull, lifeless, disinterested in everything - even food!! Was not going to proceed with second one but foolishly was convinced by vet that we should. She didn't go to the trainer at all that year in the end. Glad they have taken the vacc off the market...should not have been allowed on in the first place without the proper testing.