Strangles

Deano645

Visit site
Hello

Help & advice needed. We have a pony with possible strangles, basically a week and a half ago pony became unwell, off food and high temp. Had the vet out who suspected an infection, glands were up a bit but no snot or cough. After finished course of antibiotics temp went back up and off food again, then a few days ago huge abscess appeared under the throat and ruptured. Vet called out immediately as of course we suspected Strangles. He took blood, nasal swab, and sample from the fluid coming from the abscess. Through the rest of the week lots of thick yellow very smelly gunk has come out of the abscess but pony is so much better in herself and temp normal. She is grazed separately from others as she is prone to weight gain, doesn't share a water trough or any other equipment, there are 4 other horses at the yard and all are still ok and well. We are being very careful and treating it as though she does have strangles so only I am handling her, wearing protective clothing etc and using lots of disinfectant! The vet has told me he thinks it isn't strangles as we still have no snot or cough, even though we have this big abscess. Anyway, yesterday he phoned to say the blood test was negative, and hopefully this means she is clear of strangles. On monday we will get the results from the swabs, he said the blood test although negative does show she has antibodies so has been exposed to strangles in the past and we need to do another test in a couple of weeks. He said if the swabs are negative then they will clean her up, try and find out what it was that caused it, and do a guttural flush and all should be ok.

He was very positive on the phone yesterday that we are in the clear, does anyone know much about this blood test and how accurate it is, and has anyone been through this and will it all be ok? So worried for everyone else on the yard if it is strangles and the cost to them etc and the inconvenience. Glad our pony is getting better though.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
My pony had strangles. The blood test was negative but the swab was positive. We took her temperature daily. Once the discharge stopped and her temperature was normal she had a guttural pouch wash and further swabs until she was clear. It took months. It’s a wretched disease.

SEL

Visit site
Do you know the levels in the first blood test? We had an outbreak on a yard I was on a few years ago and a number of first blood tests came back low or inconclusive - apparently the bacteria antibodies can take a while to build up which is why they do a second test.

Keep going with your quarantine until all tests are clear. It spread in our yard because quarantine was cr*p. My mare was only tested because I wanted to move yards. She had really high antibodies so had a pouch wash - all negative. My gelding who is with her 24:7 had negligible results on both blood tests - he's probably been exposed before and has immunity.

Do you have much movement on/off your yard? If your pony does have it they might not actually be the carrier.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A friends horse had similar in January, all came back negative. Was an abscess under lower back teeth, had to be manually drained and cleaned out, it was right at the back of the mouth and erupted outwards. Xrays showed a foreign body had gone in between the last 2 teeth and likely caused the issue.
OP I hope you get an answer soon x

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Similar happened at my yard. Horse was picked up from another yard where it had been whilst owner was away, she realised it was unwell and took it straight to vet. Blood test done negative strangles so thought ok then a few days later abscess developed and was diagnosed on swabs as strangles the horse was then very unwell for some while but completely recovered. Luckily nothing else on our yard was exposed as she was on a separate bit and we took extensive hygiene precautions. Her other horse stabled very close to it in a small internal block never developed it either.

Deano645

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I just cannot see how it isn't strangles. The frustrating thing is that we have hardly been anywhere in the last few months due to a family bereavement so don't know how she has picked it up. Vet seems confident it isn't as he says she isn't presenting as true strangles but from what friends have told me they all present differently, and this abscess she has is awful. Thankfully since it burst she has improved massively and seems her normal self again, the smell is horrendous.
The only thing that has been in my mind other than strangles is the tooth abscess theory as you have said The Fuzzy Furry, I prey it is something like that. The vet said the blood test did show some antibodies showing she has been in exposed to strangles before and that he will run another test in a couple of weeks to see if they have increased. He said she cannot be a carrier as where she has been before in a herd no others have had strangles so she couldn't have passed it on.

Deano645

Visit site
Sel - we are a quiet yard, all the other 4 horses been there for a long time. I had a new one four months ago but surely if she was a carrier the others would have got it earlier.

Shay

Visit site
Strangles is quite persistent and can be carried from yard to yard by vermin. OP your description does sound like strangles - but the vet seems fairly convinced it isn't? The only other explanation I can think of would be a massive under jaw abscess. I had an oldie with this recently and it was alarming how quickly it came up and how bad it was. Not as bad as strangles obviously!

Hopefully the yard is in lock down and honest about the risk locally. You might also want to contact Redwings for any advice under their "Stamp it out" campaign. Its yards that keep the infection secret who allow it to be spread.

Deano645

Visit site
Hi Shay, yes we are most definitely on lock down and those in the local area who need to know, know, then when we have the swab results tomorrow, if it positive then we will be sharing the info. I can't understand why people would hide this sort of thing, risking others.

Mule

Visit site
I had a mare with cushings who developed strangles. Despite her compromised immune system she recovered completely. I wouldn't worry about the recovery of a healthy horse

Lucky788

Visit site
Redwings have some great tips. Old saying if it looks like strangles it’s strangles - and depending how early on the swabs and tests are done they can be false negatives

Ask your vet for advice it’s highly contagious but only through contact.

Fingers crossed it all goes ok :)

splash30

Visit site
One of my horses many years ago had a strangles scare (she was on loan to a college at the time) but ended up a bacterial infection from bird droppings but the symptoms were exactly the same as strangles.