Strangles

sam72431

Visit site
Any help/advice appreciated my horse seems to be in the clear but one of the horses has come back as having it on scope sample. This horse has been isolated and we are not hacking out following all advice to stop spread but as it’s not something I’ve ever really dealt with and just wondered if anyone has dealt with it and what the normal procedure is to limit spread, blood taking and scoping. How long was it until you were able to get back to normal after a breakout? Thanks

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
There should be a vet in charge of the outbreak telling everyone what to do. Horses with symptoms should be isolated. Direct contacts of symptomatic horses should also be isolated. And all horses should have temps taken twice a day. If any horses start to show a temp rise or other symptoms (snotty nose, abscess in neck) they also get isolated. All poorly horses should be scoped 6 weeks after they stop showing symptoms. The yard is not clear until all previously poorly horses scope clear and all other horses have blood tests that are normal. So it's not a quick process. Hope your horse stays well.

sam72431

Visit site
Thanks it’s been a bit complicated basically the horse who tested positive doesn’t have normal symptoms no temp no snotty nose just a cough which cleared after a day of antibiotics and no temp. We are temp checking twice a day and being vigilant but in two weeks no horse has had a temp including the original horse. Not sure if this means he is a carrier? Vet is in charge but everyone is pretty confused as advice has changed a bit?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Antibiotics are controversial because they can clear up most of the infection quickly but cant reach the guttural pouches where infection travels. So a horse who appears well can still be infectious. The horse who was ill needs to scope clear to be sure he's not a carrier. The incubation period can be up to 21 days so other horses are almost in the clear so fingers crossed for you all.

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
When we had an outbreak we had a disinfectant bucket outside the stables for our boots and I went as far as wearing overalls and left that at the yard after I was done tending to the horses as strangles can spread from clothing and footwear. Everyone attending the livery should do the same as not doing so simply because their horse isn't sick defeats the purpose should they be around the sick horse, even if it simply means passing by at a safe distance, can't be too careful.

In fact, my pony wasn't even sick, and I moved her away from the yard immediately as soon as I had noticed the one that came off the horsebox had it. However, I still took precautions whenever I was at the yard.
I even tried to warn the owner but they wouldn't listen and said it was just "hayfever". Wouldn't be the first time someone didn't listen to me and tried to tell me I was wrong about something when in reality I was right the whole time... Not to mention hayfever is comparable to strangles. Was pretty obvious to me that something was seriously wrong no matter what it was. Unfortunately, the yard owner did not isolate and thus an outbreak occurred, over half a dozen got sick, it was chaotic.

Last edited:

sam72431

Visit site
Thanks for advice it’s just something I’ve never really dealt with personally before so I am finding it all a bit confusing. We are following vets advice and being sensible so hoping for a good outcome ?

SEL

Visit site
We had it on the yard I was on a few years back. We did isolate the horses that started the outbreak (new from a dealer) but it was too late and others started to show snotty noses.

My two were blood tested because I had been planning to move yards before the outbreak and the vets were convinced it was under control. They'd both been in a paddock together which didn't share a fence with any other horse, but my mare still managed to have very, very high antibodies (no other signs and no temperature). I had the guttural pouch wash done where they pump antibiotics up and a week later we were free to move. The gelding was tested twice and never showed antibodies which suggested he'd been exposed at some point in his past.

The vet should be recommending a guttural pouch wash for the horse with the antibodies and then its just a case of waiting to see if anything else gets a temperature, snotty nose etc.

Ours outbreak was also chaotic. It was a riding school and livery yard - the RS didn't want to close and the liveries got mixed messages about blood testing etc. When my mare came back with a hugely positive result I was told to keep it quiet - but the local area already knew something was going on and no way was I going to move to a new yard with a potential strangles case!!!

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
Sorry, I meant hayfever isn't comparable. Made a typing error and couldn't edit.

Strangles can be quite daunting and worrying for most owners so you're not alone there. I hope for a smooth and speedy recovery for you and any others affected. I would also suggest no one takes their horses out if they are keeping their horse within proximity of the sick horse. Again even if they're at safe distance I would highly advise allowing them to leave the premises until you have the all-clear with all horses. Would also recommend keeping a close eye on their temperature levels and call a vet immediately if their temperature is above 38°C.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
We had it 6 years ago at my previous yard. No horses left the yard for 5 months and in that time we had the infected horses in isolation fields. All horses were blood tested for antibodies and swab tested for bacteria more than once.
We took temperatures twice a day and wrote them on a spreadsheet. Disinfectant for hands feet and equipment everywhere (Jeyes). Affected horses and positive tested horses had guttural pouch washes by the vets until they were certified clear. It was arduous to say the least.
As others have said you need a vet to take charge and tell everyone what to do.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a pain and bad luck just when the weather is improving and people what to get out and about.
If you can keep your horse outside do so .