Strapping a horse?

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How would you do it if it has never been done to a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Slowly & carefully! LOL

If you have never done it before, get someone to show you that really knows how to do it, as there is a definite art to it......like plastering walls or something!
grin.gif

Is very beneficial supposedley & good for your arms too, (maybe I should take it up myself then!) & most horses enjoy (tolerate?) it very well when they have got the hang of what's going on!

Then, to save money on those ridiculously expensive pad thingies, you can amuse yourself by making wisps out of hay.......does anybody do this anymore? I know I couldn't!
blush.gif

(I bet old smarty-pants JM7 could rustle up a professional looking, tightly plaited wisp in 30 seconds flat though, as opposed to one of my efforts, that even as a child when people made such things, just looked like, well, a random handful of hay really! Actually, I think they might've been straw? LOL)

JAK

Visit site
Well, I never was very good with my hands & couldn't plait hair either as a child! LOL

Used to groom my pony 'by the book' though, as opposed to the girls, who just seem to randomly wave various brushes in the direction of their ponies, in no particular order, which infuriates me even now & I have to 'walk away'!
grin.gif

druid

Visit site
Oh, I can make wisps! We used to make hay pads too to rub the horses down with after hunting, before thatching thier rugs with straw...good that sounds "olde worlde" now!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Used to groom my pony 'by the book' though, as opposed to the girls, who just seem to randomly wave various brushes in the direction of their ponies, in no particular order, which infuriates me even now & I have to 'walk away'!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a 'by the book' way to groom horses?
shocked.gif
blush.gif
Really? Care to elaborate?

JAK

Visit site
Well, you had to do it in a certain order etc., didn't you?
Apart from picking out feet, start by going over with a dandy brush, to remove all dried on mud etc., then moving onto a body brush/curry comb for the main grooming (20-30 minutes maybe!), using curry comb every 3rd stroke or so!
Brush through mane & tail, sponge face with first sponge, water brush to encourage mane to lie flat & correctly, second sponge for dock area!
Final job (in summer anyway!) was a stable rubber for a final polish/shine & maybe oil hooves!

Girls' method? Pick out feet, randomly wave dandy or body brush at pony, (using currycomb either on both or not at all!), ignore which way mane lies, use world supply of babywipes rather than sponges, choose brushes on colour rather than effectiveness or quality, have no idea water brush can be used for anything other than scrubbing hooves when bathing pony!

And they are not alone! In fact, they're a vast improvement on most people on yard, who 'groom' their horses with something resembling a 'clogged-up with hair scrubbing brush' or a rubber curry comb - most horses never have their faces/botties cleaned, like ever & I have seldom, if ever, seen any of them, clean their brushes with a currycomb or anything else!
shocked.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
oops! Only one of mine who gets his behind cleaned is one with an ulcerating melanoma. REgularly check others, just don't seem very dirty!
Same for eyes/nose...one with runy nose is only one getting nose cleaned! (all others seem clean enough..)
hmm... then again.. I did fail my stable management several times..
On the other hand... I have happy, reasonably healthy horses..and they shine
laugh.gif
so must be doing something right!
However, the 'by the book' way seems good too!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oh, yes... that does ring a veeeeeery faint bell. However, wouldn't work now as PF very ticklish with dandy brushes and in any case there's no mud to knock off her... and 20-30 mins? really? Ermmm okaaaaaaaay
blush.gif

I do always make sure brushes are clean though (have to clean Fabian's too as they're revolting, espesh now horses are shedding winter coat!) and metal currycombs are used on the horse here!!
shocked.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The thing that annoys me most is people who dont brush tails properly. Body brush all the way, not nasty plastic things!

[/ QUOTE ]
Arrgghh, revolting things, usually in a garish shade of Barbie pink or something! Ugh!

Our lots' tails are brushed from the bottom up first, bit by bit, holding all the way & only then, section by section straight through & they have lovely tails, all of them!
smile.gif

Use Oster brushes though, rather than body brushes, as the latter have little effect on CB's huge tail! LOL

JAK

Visit site
PF is always beautifully groomed & turned out though PF, so either you are particularly adept at it or you have a 'self-clean pony'! LOL

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think she IS self-clean!! Unlike Antifaz who likes to smear poo all over himself!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I'm sorry to have to inform you that I must retract my former (possibly rash) offer of 50p for him that I made the other day - I simply couldn't possibly own a 'poo-smearer'!
shocked.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think she IS self-clean!! Unlike Antifaz who likes to smear poo all over himself!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I'm sorry to have to inform you that I must retract my former (possibly rash) offer of 50p for him that I made the other day - I simply couldn't possibly own a 'poo-smearer'!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh rats!! I should've approached owner yesterday and secured deal before mentioning the poo smearing!!

Tharg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
good for your arms too,

Then, to save money on those ridiculously expensive pad thingies, you can amuse yourself by making wisps out of hay.......does anybody do this anymore? I know I couldn't!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more incentive!, how do you make a wisp, just grab some hay and twist it around?.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
The thing that annoys me most is people who dont brush tails properly. Body brush all the way, not nasty plastic things!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to admit I rarely groom my horse's tail. He's a Welsh D and has a very thick and curly tail. I refuse to spend all my wages on that Canter coat shine stuff so I just wash and condition it well when I'm going to a show. Brush it well with a soft body brush and then leave it til the next show. It looks better now (when washed!) than ever. If I tried to prise the dreadlocks apart by hand every day it would take hours!

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever brush tails when I wash them (leaves you with nice thick tails). Use a hairbrush and some John Frieda serum to detangle and then body brush to finnish. If competing then I'll plait the tail up in one big plait overnight and brush through with a b-brush in the am.

k9h

Visit site
Her you go babe. It is an old post so people may not know you have posted on it.

In the old days we called it strapping and it has a marvelous effect not only on the horse but on you to. Start off by giving your animal a good body brushing, remembering to scrape the brush across the curry comb regularly. Next take a strapping pad (a round leather pad with a suede face) and starting at the neck work over the whole body attacking each group of muscles by thumping them, then smoothing the pad across them in a regular thump and slide motion.

It is as well to alternate between your right and left hand otherwise after a month your muscles will be more developed on one side than another. That of course is if you have been doing it properly!

If you are unable to get a strapping pad you could try making an old fashioned wisp from hay. First twist some hay into a long string then gather the top end of the string into two loops. Wind the remaining string through the loops to form a hay pad. Perhaps not as stylish as a leather pad but the coarse hay will help stimulate the skin and give you a glossy clean animal.

When you have finished strapping over take a slightly damp cloth (an old tea towel works wonders) and gently wipe over the whole coat. Clean eyes, nose and dock with cotton wool and clean water. Never use the same piece of cotton wool for all areas and only use sponges if you are sure you will be able to wash them thoroughly after each use.

walker

New User
Visit site
Thanks. for the info. I guess I jumped the gun looking for an answer , sorry about that. I will be more patient in the future...
Babe..
grin.gif