Strapping at stage 2

Trainmeup

New User
Visit site
Hi guys I am hoping I can get some help. I recently failed stage 2 unit 1a. In the comment it read was unable to use the equipment to improve muscle tone in the horse. I have booked a lesson with and instructor to go through my technique and have read all the books and watched all the videos and I can't work out where I went wrong? I don't do it regularly at our yard as our horses are grass kept. Can anyone give me any advice? I have rebooked to take the unit again but don't want to repeat myself if I was wrong. I also got asked how long I would strap and how many repetitions I would do, I did explain depends on level of work and you would start with say 5 and build up over time but the examiner said this is a fit horse who is used to it so I said I would strap for 15 mins is that wrong? The books say very little about this?

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Does anyone still strap a horse? I thought it was an old fashioned thing and was no longer done?

Diamore

Visit site
I would say a fit horse 10-15mins strapping, used to say you strapped till the groom was sweaty :)
Did you also say you would only do it after work?

be positive

Visit site
Does anyone still strap a horse? I thought it was an old fashioned thing and was no longer done?

It has many benefits and is far better than the regular baths that many horses now seem to get in preference to a decent groom, I don't strap like I used to but still do if the horse would benefit.

skint1

Visit site
I keep reading references to strapping and I really want to try it! I am going to have a look and see what youtube throws up!

ruth83

Visit site
Were you using the correct equipment?
Were you demonstrating on the correct muscles? The ones you want to build - not those you want to discourage! And obviously only on muscly areas, not bony ones.
Were you brushing/strapping with enough vigour?
Were you safe? (Horse tied up, door closed, standing in a safe place).

It is really easy in an exam situation to do something silly without realising - like picking up the water brush when strapping or strapping the underside of the neck. We have all been there!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm impressed that strapping is still on the curriculum. I was taught how to by a fierce lady BHSI. I was allowed 30 or 45 minutes per horse (can't remember which) and she would check the horses over later in the day. I would get a right royal b0ll0cking if they weren't pristine.

Does anyone routinely spend 45 minutes per day grooming or strapping their horse anymore? I don't...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've been out of practice, but FLF has been strapped (by me) for the past 3 weeks, currently on 30 mins daily, as prep for a major show :)
This ^ plus a good 30 mins 4 days a week with body brush & curry too.

I used to do it as a matter of course when producing :)

Trainmeup

New User
Visit site
I used a leather pad and a stable rubber using pad in hand closest to horse, banging with pad then wiping after each stroke with stable rubber. Horse was tied up stable door shut. Worked on neck area of trapesius muscle, shoulder, hind quarters and thigh. Was straight after I had jumped and hot day can only think perhaps not vigorous enough?

Shay

Visit site
When I did my BHS Horsemaster exams - shows how long ago that was! - you had to make your own wisp out of plaited straw and then use it to strap with. If it fell apart you failed. Much easier these days. But yes - I still strap too. (But not for 45 mins!) You do need a fair old thump to be firm enough. And might you have strayed to the point of shoulder which is bony rather than muscle?

Isn't the pad in the hand further away from the horse? Makes better physical sense that way?

DD265

Visit site
Sorry to slightly hijack - I don't understand how strapping a horse is "comparable" to giving a bath? Can somebody explain? :)

Diamore

Visit site
Sorry to slightly hijack - I don't understand how strapping a horse is "comparable" to giving a bath? Can somebody explain? :)

Action pulls all the grease out of the coat, which is why you should "rubber" in between, and obv the more you polish the better your coat is!

Auslander

Visit site

There are two definitions of strapping. One is also known as banging, where you use a leather strapping pad to work the muscles, the other is very through grooming.

madlady

Visit site
Me and hubby still strap - more so in winter than in summer. The horses love it and it keeps the coats in really good nick.

We've got a pad and I'll also give a really vigorous groom with a body brush in the winter prior to riding to warm them up.

Casey76

Visit site
Is strapping ethical?

I suppose it's a bit like the post on twitching. I'm not sure I'd want my horse (whole or individual muscle group) to tense in preparation of being banged with a pad... (just my thoughts ;) )

Mike007

Visit site
Is strapping ethical?

I suppose it's a bit like the post on twitching. I'm not sure I'd want my horse (whole or individual muscle group) to tense in preparation of being banged with a pad... (just my thoughts ;) )

If that was how it worked ,I would agree,but it isnt. The "bang" should be just hard enough to fire the muscle group to contract . It is a reflex rather than a blow to the muscle .

EQUIDAE

Visit site
If that was how it worked ,I would agree,but it isnt. The "bang" should be just hard enough to fire the muscle group to contract . It is a reflex rather than a blow to the muscle .

Just tried that on myself and it's not pleasant...

ruth83

Visit site
I used a leather pad and a stable rubber using pad in hand closest to horse, banging with pad then wiping after each stroke with stable rubber. Horse was tied up stable door shut. Worked on neck area of trapesius muscle, shoulder, hind quarters and thigh. Was straight after I had jumped and hot day can only think perhaps not vigorous enough?

Possibly as simple as a regional difference, but I have always strapped using the leather pad and a body brush, rather than a stable rubber. (I have my stage 2).

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
video on strapping here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVJEC89NdwA

the main point is that you bang the muscle a few times, then stop to make the muscle contract which then over time builds muscle. you aren't hurting the horse - all of mine don't even move when I do it, usually carry on eating. I can see the muscle contract when I pause too which shows I'm doing it correctly. I would love to do it regularly but I don't have time sadly.

this is how I explained it in my stage 2 and they had no issue with my answer. I also demonstrated how to do it and which muscles i would do it on, and which I wouldn't

Goldenstar

Visit site
It does not build muscle it increases circulation to the muscles and that is what gives the benefit .
You can't build muscles by bashing them .
I am amazed them still teach it .
OP do they still teach you to make a wisp ?

Mike007

Visit site
Back in the days when we rode dinosaurs ,Race dinosaurs would go out on the gallops at 7am for "first lot" . These dinosaurs would be strapped at evening stables (about 4 pm) .The strapping promotes circulation helpind to clear lactic acid ,and also relaxes the muscle. Of course we were primative cave dwellers who knew nothing about your fancy modern horses which have absolutely nothing in common with the dinosaurs of my youth.

ruth83

Visit site
Back in the days when we rode dinosaurs ,Race dinosaurs would go out on the gallops at 7am for "first lot" . These dinosaurs would be strapped at evening stables (about 4 pm) .The strapping promotes circulation helpind to clear lactic acid ,and also relaxes the muscle. Of course we were primative cave dwellers who knew nothing about your fancy modern horses which have absolutely nothing in common with the dinosaurs of my youth.

You, sir, win the internet today.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Strapping/banging utilises one of the 'tapotement' techniques in massage. This is deployed on humans as part of sports massage and, yes, it is ethical, although maybe not pleasurable, but it does serve a purpose. To those of you questioning, suggest you book yourselves a sports massage with a qualified practitioner and then re-post.