Straw Pellets trial (pic heavy)

Oberon

Visit site
Just to update.....

I ran out of straw pellets a few weeks ago. The Tank abusing his new auto water drinker and causing leaks didn't help!

Either way, they didn't last me any longer than LWP.

I have since taken delivery of LWP again and I'm much happier. I shall be sticking with them in the future.

Straw pellets have their place for people who can't put wood on their muck heap...or people who wish to deep litter, but they didn't work for me.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
A big thank you Oberon for sharing your Straw Pellets experience with us.

I had looked at trying these myself, but you've saved me the trouble and expense and I am sticking with what I have.

Ditto! But I read the whole thread - up to 10 days ago - and then ordered 2 tonnes of the Stable Gold straw pellets (in half-tonne bulk bags). We've now got 13 horses on them - the longest one has been on them is 6 days and he hasn't required ANY new bedding. 12 are on rubber mats, but as my 3 year old colt was always digging his mats up, we took them out and gave him a much deeper bed.

So far - so very good. No smell, far quicker to muck out (was on paper); far less bedding going out with the muck - so less muck for me to shift OUT of the muck heaps. The horses are staying cleaner and drier. If it continues to 'perform', it will save me a small fortune in bedding, staff time, my time - and make MUCH nicer muck to spread!

Flash_28

Visit site
Which brand of wood pellet are you using now Thai? With 5 horses I am always looking to save a bit of money or a bit of time! Beforehand I have always soaked all of the bedding but some other people on this thread (unless I have the wrong end of the stick) have said that they don't soak them at all. Trying to find a much easier way of being able to lay the beds as it is a proper pain in the butt when laying a wood pellet bed!

Its called Blue ribbon horse bedding. They come in 15kg sacks and if you order 1 pallet they are £3.20 each!! 67 bags on a pallet. so £3.20 x 67 =£215 !!!!!! They add on the VAT on so it comes to about 250 or something. Because the bags are bigger they are easy to slit open and pour water in. I used LWP a while ago but these are cheaper and, in my opinion, better quality. xxxx :)

Thank you Thai! I shall look into it as I'm running low on my stash of bedding now. After laying the beds and trying to top them up I am running low on bags now.

I seem to be going through the bags at a quite a rate of knots! But on my one clean horse I have he has only had one bag in since the laying of his bed. The box walker is a little easier to muck out, still takes forever but her bed appears so much cleaner. And for the 1st time since we have moved to the yard we are at (3rd winter now) she has actually laid down in her stable. The youngster is still ming but the beds don't seem too bad really. Just wish I didn't have to be so OCD about the beds!!

Thank you for the person who 1st started this thread as I'm the happiest I have been in a long time with my bedding as are my horses and I have gotten a few good tips by reading through the thread :)