Stress chew ‘toy’

Clodagh

Visit site
It sounds more like a frustration thing not a retrieving thing IMO, my young one and her father do it.

Bionic range is good and there's another one I can't remember the name of but will look. Only things that work for the old dog, he broke XL black Kongs in half and chews metal bowls....
Do they make hideous yowling noises at the same time!?
I just hope by having something to vent on he can stop making his pop hole bigger. 😄.
I have ordered a Benebone thing and hopefully Roxylola’s goughbut will head this way and we shall see.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I just hope by having something to vent on he can stop making his pop hole bigger. 😄.
I have ordered a Benebone thing and hopefully Roxylola’s goughbut will head this way and we shall see.

Yip...it usually happens when one goes out without the other or if I'm not quick enough getting them out or they can hear me doing something they're not involved in but want to be. The old dog has a ball all the time and can still make awful noises when it's in his mouth.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The noise from Mitch, through 2 toys stuffed in his gob, is atrocious, sounds like creaky old door!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Goughnuts have a "lifetime guarantee" but you do still have to pay for the replacement. Not the full cost, but still worth noting. Unless that's changed.

I don't get the Yak chew thing. Mine have obliterated those quickly. Granted, one of mine is a powerful chewer, and the other is just straight up determined if "could be food."
Our Labs simply ate through Yak chews in one session and then got 'the runs'. Never again 😉. We find coffee wood and antlers are safe to leave with them overnight. N.B. Labs are far more destructive than Rottweilers. Toys that the Labs destroy in hours lasted the Rotts for years.
Nylabones don't last long at all.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our Labs simply ate through Yak chews in one session and then got 'the runs'. Never again 😉. We find coffee wood and antlers are safe to leave with them overnight. N.B. Labs are far more destructive than Rottweilers. Toys that the Labs destroy in hours lasted the Rotts for years.
I’m not keen on nylabones as they eat them and poo out plastic chunks. Yak chews would last seconds! Antlers worry me from a teeth POV.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
And Kongs they chew up, in layers. I’ve always removed them before they get any more dissected.
Great for puppies though.
Yes We've had to remove a big Kong from ours. I was amazed when they removed a chunk of it.
I really ought to say that I had to line a plaster wall with metal (well my Dad did) because the brown Lab that I had at the time got excited when I arrived home from work. I'm not sure that any kind of distraction will do the job you want.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

The coffee wood makes an absolute mess, which I guess wouldn't matter so much outside. Small pieces of wood everywhere. So I don't leave mine with those. Mixed feelings about antlers. I've not done Nylabones, only Benebones, and they're ok. My Lab doesn't seem to chew as much as she used to when she was younger though.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
For the Kong, are you all talking about the black Kong, or the standard red one?

For whatever reason, mine have zero interest in a Kong. One will carry it around from time to time.

Clodagh

Visit site
For the Kong, are you all talking about the black Kong, or the standard red one?

For whatever reason, mine have zero interest in a Kong. One will carry it around from time to time.
Mine have only eaten the red one, but they did find a black one out in the field the other day and that had been chewed in half, not by mine though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Mine have only eaten the red one, but they did find a black one out in the field the other day and that had been chewed in half, not by mine though.
My chewed one was blue!
@Clodagh, what you really need us an automatic feeder to grow a toy at as your alarm clock goes off, as he will be easily distracted from a toy he has had available all night.

Clodagh

Visit site
My chewed one was blue!
@Clodagh, what you really need us an automatic feeder to grow a toy at as your alarm clock goes off, as he will be easily distracted from a toy he has had available all night.
It would also need to be remote controlled for when he hears our car come up the road. 😄.
A good idea, I agree. But he only chews the kennel door when we are getting up or coming home. If I go shooting and he doesn’t go OH has him with him as much as possible.

ETA so hopefully he’ll only chew the toy, or fill his mouth with it, those times. Once the novelty has worn off. Hopefully 😃

maisie06

Visit site
Mine have free access to Bamboodles and benebones - just get the largest size, both hve lasted ages and they haven't chewed chunks off either.

Roxylola

Visit site
Honestly probably the most it's ever been "played" with Roxy doesn't chew, fling or do much with toys (or shoes, or socks, or bras...) beyond carry them about, leave them in the garden or occasionally drop around the house. She will retrieve anything I throw but 0 independent play