Stress fractures - hind quarters - any experiences?

Doublethyme

Visit site
Anyone got any experiences (good or bad) of stress fractures on hind ends. My mare who is on paddock rest for an annular ligament/SDFT strain on her left hind, has decided that these issues aren't interesting enough for her and has now come up lame from doing "something" in the field on Friday on her right hind!

Vet has current prescribed 10 days box rest and bute, but she came up very reactive on hard palpation on her hind quarters just above her tail area and my vet is talking about the possibility of a stress fracture????
confused.gif
frown.gif

Mind you, she also came up slightly reactive on palpation of the suspensory ligament halfway down her cannon bone, so might have done that as well
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
- vet did say that this might just be a bit sore from where she is compensating weight wise from her original injury on the other leg.

Bloody horses!!!!! My vet said they usually see a lot of stress fractures of this nature in racehorses (not paddock resting warmbloods!!)

cellie

Visit site
I cant help you with advice on injury but if you need her to rest in the paddock you could try what I am doing at the moment.My horse has to have restricted turnout but has to keep mobile after surgery I have linked up 6 different shaped paddocks with tape so he has plenty of movement but no cantering.As he has grass and company he s much happier.His field looks a bit like a maze my daughter couldnt work out how to get her pony in the other night so its probably keeping his mind occupied to.I had tendon injury and cannon bone deep bruising at the same time so I know how frustrated you are feeling.Hope it works out.