Stress laminitis from shoeing?

Michen

Visit site
Will it help if I bathe him in it? Haha. I have got some so might use it once he's sorted out

Thank you. I almost wish I hadn't pulled the shoes. God I just feel terrible especially as he's on loan and this has happened under my watch. I'm so meticulous with his care in every way and then this happens!

I confess I use keratex if I think it will help the horses comfort while I sort stuff out .
It's not as if your going be to bathing him it for a decade .

Michen

Visit site
Interesting... They flex to thumb pressure?
Perhaps I need to change career or learn to trim because who on earth will I let near his feet now!

Thank you. I almost wish I hadn't pulled the shoes. God I just feel terrible especially as he's on loan and this has happened under my watch. I'm so meticulous with his care in every way and then this happens!

The vet thought frank's soles were very flexible which surprised me, she was then suprised how thick that flexible sole could be!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Don't get too down this may all settle quicker than you think .

Echo this, I have seen it a few times, when young farriers have over trimmed. It looks terrible, but a week or two of bute, and stabling and they do normally bounce back okay.7

Laminitis - means inflammation of the laminae. It doesn't have to be any long term impact, if you haven't got pedal bone rotation.

Be kind to yourself, and have a big glass of wine. xx

rachk89

Visit site
Hope the horse gets better soon. Only reason i would get the first farrier back would be to get my money back if i had paid him. No other reason and he wouldn't be returning. Inam quite happy to find someone else to take care of my horse on anything there are plenty other farriers out there.

Michen

Visit site
So much better. His hooves are cool (ish) his pulses are totally normal. He's walking round his bed ok and covered in bedding so clearly having a good roll! His fetlocks have filled slightly. I've just bought some materials to make some hoof pads so I might see how he walks in boots and pads.. I imagine he will be crippled on concrete still barefoot and don't really want to check!!!

Michen how is he today ?

Michen

Visit site
As a further update to that.. With a cut out garden kneeling mat in his boots he looks 90% normal!!!!!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
So much better. His hooves are cool (ish) his pulses are totally normal. He's walking round his bed ok and covered in bedding so clearly having a good roll! His fetlocks have filled slightly. I've just bought some materials to make some hoof pads so I might see how he walks in boots and pads.. I imagine he will be crippled on concrete still barefoot and don't really want to check!!!

I wouldn't be getting him out on concrete any time soon. Rest on a supportive surface is needed for a few days yet,

Pebble101

Visit site
He wasn't reacting much to testers around the laminae area though which is hopeful.

Mind didn't either but he had it in all four feet and one pedal bone slightly rotated. Vet said it does happen particularly those with large feet.

Just wanted to add this happened last year. He had been retired for 5 years having had both tendons come off his hocks (3 years apart). He was overweight, borderline Cushings and Insulin Resistant. He has lost a lot of weight and I have been riding him for 9 months now - yesterday we actually had a gallop. If you had told me a year ago I would be doing that I wouldn't have believed you :)

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just to echo AA I would be resting him in the stable for several days on deep bed of something like bedmax .