Stressed out pointer

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
Just a bit of history. My german short haired pointer is a typical pointer, nervous of his own shadow.
He is 6years old had him from a pup but he is blind in one eye which doesnt affect him.
Right to the problem. He hates fireworks, he pants, paces, runs to the front door, hides upstairs. Because we had a long period of fireworks he was stressy every night but he hasnt settled since, spends all night in his crate.
Today at the yard the shoot went off and he went off shivering.
Dont know if leaving him alone is best.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he sounds the same as my lurcher...we have had a few nights of fireworks round here and she is now frightened of her own shadow. for firework night(when i knew my village had a display) i used zylkene before the display started and although she paced a little bit, she was not trembling or panting or whining which is a big improvement. unfortunately i didnt expect fireworks last sat and sunday and she had already got in a state before i realised. the zylkene seems to work if she has a capsule before the event and is not so good once she is in a panic. i did do a thread which i think was called fireworks zylkene may be the answer ..so may be worth searching for that as there were some other tablets suggested which are alot cheaper...

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
I've had him on xanax, which has worked really well. But as u said u cant give them all the time. Since he has come off them he has been worse.

millitiger

Visit site
My GSP is the same, very noise sensitive so fireworks or shooting is a nightmare.

Is your crate in a room where you sit in the evening or in another room? Maybe he would be more comfortable if you brought his 'safe place' into the living room?

When stressed, we have found my boy is best if we leave all of the internal doors open at home so he can choose wherever he feels best- sometimes in his bed, sometimes next to me, sometimes lying by the front door and his new place is under my bed!
I've found the best thing is to offer comfort if he comes to me and wants it but if he wants to be somewhere else, I give him his space and leave him to it.

Thankfully, he is fine the day after the event, it must be very hard for you with him being stressed for days afterwards.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
His crate is in the dining room but can see him from the sofa so right next to him as wont fit in the front room. This has been three weeks of him unsettled he jumps if someone drops something as its horrid knowing he cant relax at home. At the yard and on walks he is fine which is lucky.

He is so sensitive when my boxer collapsed he was the one acting strange just before and he has been in and out of the vets this has all happened at the same time as the fireworks.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just checked on my original thread and someone recommended johnsons calm-eze tablets which are supposed to have the same ingrediants as zylkene but at a much lower cost....i will stay with zylkene as it seems to work for my stresshead..and it can bem used daily if necessary....hope this helps

RaynerK

Visit site
You can get desensitization CD's of scary noises which you obviously start by playing very quietly and then increase the volume. I would definitely consult a well qualified behaviourist if this is really affecting his quality of life (get a recommendation from your vet). Chat to your vet about medication. You could medicate him with a sedative at times when its really bad ie fireworks night but there are also general calmers such as 5HTP you can give 365 days of the year just the same as we do with our horses.