Stressed re weather and making hay

Ali27

Visit site
Anyone else stressed? I have left my 2 acre paddock to grow since mid May and it’s now looking perfect apart from it’s soaking wet after all this rain😢 I have good doers so would prefer it to be lower in calories but I’m wondering if it will ever get done! It’s my first time!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mines done but I know the feeling only too well!
Last year every night mine was cut and drying the sky went grey and I started panicking! It’s no fun but a lovely feeling once it’s done 🤞

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There's nothing you can do but just wait for suitable weather to arrive. The, unless you have your own machinery, you will have to hope that the person you're hiring to do the job isn't committed with other people with paddocks needing haying at the same time as yours. Good Luck.

Finlib

Visit site
Ours is done and safely in the barn but I know what you mean nothing makes you more jittery than waiting for a window of good weather to make hay.It's only just August so still enough time to get it done.Just sit right and monitor the weather forecasts carefully. We have once made some brilliant hay the first week in September but it was a worrying time.We always rest our hayfields from 1st March to give us the longest possible window to get it done.
good luck no need to panic yet !!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Dont panic, 3 or 4 years ago we didn't get ours in till 1st week in September! It was a mix of wet weather and farmers baler breaking, the audible sighs of relief must have been heard 50 miles away! This was the only cut, not a 2nd cut.

Finlib

Visit site
Dont panic, 3 or 4 years ago we didn't get ours in till 1st week in September! It was a mix of wet weather and farmers baler breaking, the audible sighs of relief must have been heard 50 miles away! This was the only cut, not a 2nd cut.
That must have been the year we did hay in September and ours was the only cut Audible sounds of relief all round!!!!!! It was a stressful summer that year.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I hate that feeling. We decided not to cut ours last year as it’s always such a stress! It was actually a really good choice and I managed to enjoy the summer without the constant worry in the back of my mind.

We bought some really nice quality hay in but hardly used any as we strip grazed the hay field which, by the winter, was just standing hay and was ideal for our tubby natives. I’m doing the same this year with the added bonus of not having to order any extra hay as we still have loads left.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's always stressful even 200 miles away I get the stress in a series of messages! We persist not because we don't buy the hay but because we have far too much grass otherwise, it still grows up to foggage for winter. This year it was having too much hay for our storage and the contractor not wanting the spare which he usually does.

Don't panic yet though, we have also made August bank holiday before which was fine and probably better for our good doers.

Dollbird

Visit site
No way having a dig at OP. But makes you think about why we have to pay fluctuating prices for hay. So much pressure re weather etc.

Flicker51

Visit site
I’ve had six acres cut last week and the contractors have just left it ....it is now starting to rot and I’m seeing my winter grazing going to pot . Furious! Contractor not answering his phone- he’s obviously got bigger fish to fry 🤬🤬🤬

Ali27

Visit site
I’ve had six acres cut last week and the contractors have just left it ....it is now starting to rot and I’m seeing my winter grazing going to pot . Furious! Contractor not answering his phone- he’s obviously got bigger fish to fry 🤬🤬🤬
How awful! If necessary, I will leave it as standing hay!

Bs_mum

Visit site
We’re still haying. Having to go s field at a time due to machinery keeping breaking, the weather and not enough hands on deck!

Indy

Visit site
We've got some on the floor at the minute. It was just ready to bale last week and we just couldn't get to it in time before the rain. It's rowed up so that gave it a bit of protection, once we get a few good days will spread it about let it dry out and then make it into little bales. It won't be the best quality but it should be ok for the weight watchers of the herd.

Carlosmum

Visit site
My OH stresses every year over the weather, too wet, too dry etc. We make about 150 acres of hay per year mostly for ourselves. We do a bit as contractors but moved away from this as we got fedup with all the phone calls ' When are you coming?' There is nothing more annoying than daily phone calls, but I do sympathise with those of you who rely on others to do your hay. thank goodness its not me!!