Stretch marks after riding

Aylagrove

New User
Visit site
I had just turned 16 and was invited to ride at my friends ranch. I was calm and excited to be on the horse, my 4 or 5th time. I let me friend lead and I followed everything they said. My horse really loved to run, so I let it follow my friends horse as we rode the back country. On this ride in particular I could not get my rhythm. I was hitting the saddle really hard coming down for 1 hour off and on. When I got off the horse I felt numb and sore. When I got home I thought I would find bruises but instead I had red large stretch marks from my inner thigh wrapping around from my backside to the front of my thigh. Over time they fade but they are deep and white. I just wonder if there is a link to having that hard trauma off stretching the skin when coming down hard on the saddle for a long period of time and my age of growing pains. Like a perfect storm for my adolescent skin to have become stretched? Has anyone else had this combo of adolescent age, stretch mark + riding?

ayla

Aylagrove

New User
Visit site
Sounds painful and probably not great for the horse either so I would have some riding lessons so you learn to sit properly and balance so your not bouncing about the whole time.
Yes, i have had lessons since it was years ago and I now can ride where that doesn’t happen thankfully.

Skib

sites.google.com
You sound to be in USA? Were you riding in jeans? If so, the seams can rub or the jeans wrinkle as you describe.

To ride, one needs USA jeans designed for riding, which have softer seams inside the leg. And if you are not used to riding, a pair of thin women's nylon tights worn under the jeans will help protect your legs.

Old people often have fragile skin and my husband needed very expensive breeches with smooth seams for riding to protect his skin.

Quite apart from the clothing, if you are not used to riding, it is best to take it gradually and go short rides at first.